Review by Vyse_skies

"Short, but sweet. Sonics first outing on the GBA is a good one."

I was always going to buy Sonic Advance regardless. It could have been a mess or a masterpiece, but I didn't care. I'm a Sonic fan and so I'm always willing to put myself through even his worst experiences, because every so often I know I'll be in for a real treat. I actually didn't buy Sonic Advance until 2007 along with Sonic Advance 2 and 3.

Sonic Advance, I felt, played true, and stayed true to its brilliant Genesis/Mega Drive roots. Its gameplay and levels are reminiscent to those wonderful titles. SA is full of platforming speed and is to me, the perfect size for this type of game. SA's levels are fun from tropical beach resorts to carnivals and icy paradises. I loved all the levels and they never fell into the mundane until the latter half of the game. Although SA is original, it is also fun and isn't that what games are all about?

Sonic has his usual staple dieted movements and items for usage. Things like the Spin Dash, speed boots, invincibility, rings, speed hoops etc, but none of these seem over used even though they offer nothing new. The special stages are very poor as well, they don't work very well and are actually more frustrating than fun. Spikes in each level are another bad area. They just pop up out of nowhere and I felt that area was kinda unfair.

The music as always was nice. Now I know nice isn't a word you should use, but that is all it is. Its themes aren't anything spectacular and neither are the sound effects. They just work. The visuals are an upgrade on the MD games, they look clean and the sprites are pretty good. Every level is full of detail, every level looks great on the GBAs screen (especially the Micros) there is zero slow down, and everything runs smoothly.

Sonic Advance is a brilliant little title. It's fun and infinitely playable over and over again. A good Sonic game never, ever ages and although SA isn't perfect it is by far a title I'll be happy to come back to over and over again. So what can I say. Does SA stand a chance against its competition? Has SA done the Sonic series and Sega any justice? Yes, it has, SA is a great title and if you're a Sonic fan, you should pick it up as soon as possible.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/23/09

Game Release: Sonic Advance (EU, 03/08/02)