Review by tgoldberg

"While it can't hold a candle to the genesis games, it is still good in it's own right."

Sonic Advance is a game released in 2001 by Sega and published by THQ. If you've played any other normal Sonic the Hedgehog game, you know how it works. If, on the off chance that you haven't, here's how it works: You play as either Sonic, or one of his other tag-along friends, and try to run through the levels as fast as you can while collecting rings and smashing robots. Anyway, you're probably wondering exactly what it is about this game I think only merits a 7. If so, read on.

The gameplay in this game isn't anything special, and, while it can't hold a candle to the genesis games, it's still good in it's own right. This one plays like pretty much every other Sonic game, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good in that you won't run into anything that will leave you completely stumped, and bad in that it just isn't very original at all. Any sonic fan shouldn't hesitate to pick up a copy, but those who like a little meat with their potatoes might as well skip this one.

The one really impressive thing about this game is it's graphics, as they are some of the most colorful and detailed graphics I've seen yet far. The second I saw the high-res and extremely colorful sprites and backgrounds, I knew I had a winner in my hands (literally). From the grass covered paths of Neo Green Hill Zone, to the planet Earth in the background of X Zone, it's all just awesome sight to behold. It just doesn't get much better than this.

Value: 7/10

While the game isn't by any means groundbreaking, you certainly get what you paid for: A fun, nostalgia-enducing Sonic game for the ages. And, when you consider that you can easily get it for under $10.00, only the most stubborn Mario fans could resist. Heck, even a Mario fan could squeeze at least a minimal amount of enjoyment out of this.

Replay Value: 5/10

Sadly, although Sonic Advance is a fun game, once you beat it there's really no reason to play it through again. However, for those who actually care, there is a chao garden where you can hatch and breed those little things, and play card matching and paper rock scissors mini games with them. But for those who don't like chao, there isn't much else other than the obvious: Buy another Sonic game.

Value: 7/10
Replay Value: 5/10
Overall: 6.9

Sonic Advance is a satisfting romp through the world of Sonic, and definetly one that any platformer fan would like to go on.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/22/09

Game Release: Sonic Advance (US, 02/03/02)