Review by DarkNightwing

"Definitely worth a full $30"

Yesterday I was intent on spending a little over one hundred dollars on video games. I set out to buy Super Mario Advance 2 (Super Mario World), Sonic Advance, and of course Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Unfortunately for myself I live in the Dallas area and it always takes two days longer to ship some games to us... thus I don't have Sonic Adventure 2 yet, but I do have Sonic Advance... here's my take:

GRAPHICS: 9 out of 10

Granted, I'm not as hardcore of a Sonic fan as I am of Mario, but even I could tell that these were a totally new wave and style of 2D graphics for Sonic. I thought Tails looked a little weird at first, but the game still has that classic look to it with cute little furry guys spinning and trashing through anything that is in their path. The animation is very fluid and I don't believe the human eye could ever count the amount of frames to these animations... great work by Sonic Team/THQ.

GAMEPLAY: 10 out of 10

Classic Sonic. Not much added, but nonetheless perfect. A great formula doesn't need to have major changes, the developers of this game realized that and thus the flawless gameplay. The controls are crisp and precise, the only problem I ever had is hitting ''A'' before the ducking animation completed (thus causing me to jump rather than spin dash), and that's a very minor thing. The Sonic physics have been perfectly replicated... nothing more you could ask for, even though the Chao Garden and Time Attack features have been added in too.

REPLAYABILITY: 9 out of 10

With an monster breeding feature, Time attack modes, race and chao hunt team play multi pak multiplayer, and single cartridge 4 players multiplayer, it would seem you couldn't ask for much more out of this Sonic game. I for one was disappointed that there was no Cooperative mode for the story. The game is relatively short, but it becomes so much more fun when you get a buddy to bust up Robotnik with. That's a sad disappointment but all the other inclusions more than make up for that one shortfall.

SOUND & MUSIC: 10 out of 10

Even without headphones on this game manages to perfectly mimic the ring grabbing sounds of old and the remixes of old stage musics. This was one feature that set this game apart from Mario World, some of the instruments used in the SNES game couldn't be mimicked on GBA but Sonic's sound is flawless loud and dare I say, thumping! If you were looking for that same horrifying sound of your rings being scattered from here to kingdom-come you won't be disappointed.

OVERALL: 9 out of 10 (not an average)

Although it comes up short in a few key areas that made the Sonic series great, this first incarnation of Sonic on a Nintendo system is a more than welcome addition to my library. I see it fit for anybody for whatever reason, but if you don't plan on having friends over for any of the multiplayer modes you might as well rent it. However even if you have one other GBA toting friend BUY THIS GAME the second you see it fit, it was definitely worth my 30 bucks.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/14/02, Updated 06/07/03