Review by foofighter144

"A great adaption or merely OK?"

Reviewing a new game in a long lasting series such as Sonic the Hedgehog can be tricky. I bought this game as soon as I saw that it had hit the shelves at Toys'R'Us and beat it as soon as possible. Many people will disagree with opinions on a series that has been around for more than 10 years, so it's best to think clearly before writing such a review.

Gameplay
Handles a lot like the first 4 sonic games. Easy to learn for most gamers, and quite fun to complete. Controls on the GBA are easy to master and don't require too much thought. Most of the levels have been compiled and put into a single cartridge for newcomers of Sonic. For die-hard fans this might be a disappointment, but you can never get tired of the best, right?
Gameplay Rating: 7

Story
Pretty much the same as every other Sonic game around. Defeat the evil scientist Dr. Robotnik (Eggman). Simplistic, but makes you keep wanting to come back until you've beat it.
Story Rating: 8

Characters
Nice selection of characters. Brings back all your favorites: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. All have their own unique abilities such as Tails' flying ability. All of them are fun to play as, but some may be frustrating as you progress through the game.
Characters Rating: 9

Audio/Video
As with most GBA games, the sound is very well done. It can go from soothing in the Chao Garden (or annoying after a long period of time elapses), to adrenaline-rushing in the final battle against Eggman. Graphics were pretty nice on the game, but maybe not up to old Genesis Sonic standards. The Special Stages are a little bit tricky to master with a lack of good 3-D visuals.
Audio/Video Rating: 6

Multi-player
Using the GBA's feature of a 4-way connection comes up disappointing. Single-pack play is hardly any fun and even the multi-pack leaves too much room for the imagination. If you were hoping on getting this game to play with friends, I strongly discourage it. It does have it moments though.
Multi-player Rating: 4

Replay Value
Replayability on this game depends on the gamer. If you're out to just beat the game and see the ending then I would recommend renting it or borrowing it from a friend. On the other hand, for true Sonic gamers this is a game you'll want to add to your collection. You just can't get tired of speeding through levels with the blue hedgehog.
Replay Value Rating: 8

Overall, this game was well worth buying. I may not have known how great it was when I purchased it, but I'm glad I did in the end. An OK game for people wanting a good game, but a great game for those of us who just can't get enough of our favorite hedgehog.
Overall Rating: 7.9
But it received another .1 for being a nice addition to the saga of Sonic, leaving it at an 8.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/15/02, Updated 02/15/02