Review by Ryan Rider

"Sega's systems may have died, but their mascot still lives!"

Gameplay: 8.5/10

Quite awhile ago, I bought a GameGear. I had several games including Sonic The Hedgehog 2, which was my favorite. My GameGear broke, so I bought another one which broke again. It was too late; Sega stopped making GameGear and not one of the like ten places I went to were able to fix it. Now, after anticipating for a long time, a new Sonic game has come! I like to call it Sonic 4, Sonic Advance. The game is extremely fun with Sega's little blue mascot. You could practice beating the clock in the Time Attack. You could play with friends in VS Mode, or raise a Sonic type guy in Tiny Chaos Garden(remember Tamogotchi?). Or you can try and defeat all villains, bosses and places in the normal 1-Player mode. There are all sorts of levels to go through from the beach, to underground places, all the way to ice-filled levels! The controls are basic just like most GBA games. The B Button to twirl, the B Button with the Control Pad to run, the A Button to jump on bad guys or just plain jump, and start to pause the game.

Audio/Video: 8/10

It's good to see the good old Genesis/GameGear/Saturn graphics return. Spinning action, a pretty cool intro to the game, original textures, etc. make it pretty cool for a Game Boy Advance game. There is just one problem: How was Sega so ahead of Nintendo in graphics of portable games and still failed? The world will never know! As for the music: it's clear, cool, and goes good with the game.

Replayability: 7.5/10

It takes awhile to beat all the levels in the game. Then there are lots of different ways to beat levels, and you can try to beat them on every difficulty(Easy, Normal, and Hard). You can play with friends or challenge the clock on Time Attack. But after you've done all that, then there's no real point to play anymore. I suggest put it away and play it again in a few weeks/months when it becomes fun again.

I think that anyone who is looking for a fun-paced game that is not too hard should buy this game. It's fun for anybody with even little skill with video games. Sega's systems may have failed, but their favorable mascot still lives! I hope to see many more games with Sonic in the future. End Of Review. Goodbye.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/17/02, Updated 02/17/02