Review by Dalboz

"Fits right in with the classic Sonic games!"

Gameplay 9/10: It’s really fun. The classic Sonic atmosphere, with springs, loop-de-loops, rings, enemies, and bosses. It includes all the classic Sonic gameplay that we all know and love. Also, what makes this game even cooler than most Sonic games is that you get to play as Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, and Amy. There are also some added attacks that are used with the ‘B’ button that are pretty cool. One of the things I love about Sonic Advance is that it has an Auto-save system, so you can shut it off fast without having to go through a lot of menus and “are you sure you want to save?” messages. You also use whatever character you want, whenever you want. If you beat a few levels with Sonic, and then get sick of him, you can go play as Tails. You don’t have to worry about losing your data as Sonic, but still have to start the game with the other character (or if you played with them before you can just go right back to where you were earlier).

Graphics 8/10: Bright and friendly. It has smooth animations and the spinning looks realistic. There are also some weird corkscrew thingys that you can go through that have well-done 3-d-looking graphics. Overall the rest is pretty basic and could be done on a Super Nintendo, but this looks great for a 2-d handheld game.

Sound 10/10: Very nice to listen to. The music for the levels is very catchy and has a jazz-like feel to it. I also love the fanfare that plays at the title screen. It also has the traditional beep-like jumping sound and the cool sound effects when Sonic is spinning, getting ready to roll through level.

Overall, this game is really great. It is very fun to play, and definitely worth your money. I would have given it a 10, but the only problem with the game is Amy. She’s not very fun to use and doesn’t fit well into the Sonic universe. Her abilities are interesting, but weird. I like to stick to the other characters and don’t use her as much.
This game is worth buying, but maybe better to rent. Even if you don’t buy or rent it, you should at least get a chance to try it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/23/02, Updated 06/23/02