Review by funkypunk101

"Mortal Kombat Comes To The GBA"

Mortal Kombat Advance is a direct port of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. It features all the blood,gore,and violence which has made this series famous. But did the game come out right on the Game Boy Advance? You bet it did.

Graphics 7/10: I love the graphics in this game. The characters are very clear,colorful and easy to tell apart from one another. The backrounds aren't great, but they aren't bad either. They pretty much just sit there...motionless. The only major problem that I had with this area of the game was that sometimes the attacks don't land right. Sometimes it seems as though your attack is going right through your opponent. But it won't bother you much.

Sound 10/10: This is by far the best part of this game. All the sounds are crystal clear. The famous ''Fight'' and ''Finish Him'' are distributed during the rounds and sound excellent. As in most fighting games they have the boy and girl fighting sounds, but they did give some people their own fight sounds. These people include Jax,Liu Kang,Shao Kahn,and Motaro. The backround music is unbelievably good. The tunes are very catchy and great sounding. Overall, this is a great area of the game.

Controls 8/10: The controls in this game are great. The basic controls are easy to learn. L runs, R blocks, B punches, and A kicks. And for once it isn't a chore to pull off special moves or fatalities. Now...there is one problem in this area. It is difficult to pull off moves that require you to push back twice in a row. It requires two slow taps. This can kind of be a problem when you are in a hard battle and wanna do a move fast. But after a few minutes of practice, you should be used to it.

Gameplay 4/10: There is one word for the gameplay in this game...terrible. Now I personally did not have a problem with this area. But I can understand how you would. You pretty much have to cheat to beat your opponent. Now...I have always cheated on MK. Since the early days of MK 1 and 2. So I didn't have to adjust. But I do still get pummeled pretty badly when the computer pulls of those combos. The only real way to avoid getting beaten is to stay away from them and shoot stuff at them or corner them and continue tapping the A and B buttons. Pretty cheesy..huh? Even though they let you pick from about twenty characters it still can't bring up this score.

Story 8/10: Just a normal Mortal Kombat story. A few people have to defeat a man named Shao Kahn and save their ''realm''. Plus, everybody has their own little mini-story. When you beat the game it tells you what happened and so on.

Replay Value 8/10: I bought this game a few months ago and still can't put it down. As for you, it depends on how much you liked the game and your personality. If you liked it and you love fighting games you will probably be playing it for a few months. If not, I would give you two weeks tops.

Buy/Rent: Definately buy. You could pick up a copy of this at a used video game retailer for about ten bucks. So, even if you don't like it, you wouldn't have wasted too much money. Plus, I doubt any place rents out this game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/26/03, Updated 06/26/03