Review by Link San

"A little below MK standards, but still a good game"

Introduction:

Mortal Kombat is a game by Midway that first made its appearence on the SNES in 1992. Now, twelve years later, the Mortal Kombat series are one of the best series when it comes to fighting games. In 2001 Mortal Kombat made its debut on the GBA, Mortal Kombat Advance was the title. Mortal Kombat Advance contains 23 fighters, plus the two bosses. There are five difficulties you can choose from, very easy, easy, medium, hard and very hard. There are three combat options you can choose from, Mortal Kombat, 1 on 1 Komat and 2 on 2 Kombat. In Mortal Kombat you fight your way up through the tournament where you eventually will fight Shao Kahn, 1 on 1 Kombat is meant for multiplayer fun and 2 on 2 Kombat is also for two players only. In this review I’ll take you through the gameplay, graphics&sound, life span and my final recommendation.

The gameplay in Mortal Kombat Advance is not what I expected, the moves of the fighters are hard to do because of the limited sight you have, all the moves that the fighters used to have are half gone because there aren’t as much buttons on the GBA as there are on a joypad. But if you’ve got a Gameboy Player your sight will improve quite a bit.

Graphics&sound: 8/10

The graphics of Mortal Kombat Advance are good, the fighters may be small but they’re very detailed. The movements of the fighters are very fluently and the background is just as I would expect it to be, the fatalities are also very well done. The sound is also an aspect that I’m saitisfied about, its very clear and the fighters make a realistic sound when they’re hit or attack.

Life span: 7/10

The life span for Mortal Kombat Advance is good because there are multiple difficulties and a wide number of fighters. If you finished the game with a single character you’re always a little bit curious about what the ending would be with a different fighter, at least that was what I thought.

Final recommendation:

When I got this game I already had a Gameboy Player, if I think back about how the game would have been if I only had my GBA my opinion about the game might have been different. So if you own a Gameboy Player Mortal Kombat Advance is a nice game to add to your collection. And even if you don’t I think a Mortal Kombat fan will be pleased with this game. You should try to rent this game first because I was just about the only one in my neighbourhood that liked this game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 05/02/04