Review by Darrrrrrt7

"This is definitely the worst fighting game ever."

Ever since my childhood, I've been a hardcore Mortal Kombat fan. I've played all of them since the first game. When I heard that Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was being ported to Game Boy Advance, I was naturally excited. I couldn't wait to play "klassic" MK on the go. Unfortunately, it turned out to be utter "krap".

This game may look like the game it is a port of, but it sure doesn't play like it. In terms of gameplay, this is hardly recognizable as Mortal Kombat. This game has the worst AI I have ever seen. The enemies range from ridiculously easy to impossibly difficult. In the normal and hard difficulty settings, the enemies are downright unfairly programmed. They perform unrealistically huge kombos and are practically impossible to defeat. Here's an example of the first match (!) on normal difficulty: Scorpion rapidly teleports, uses his Spear special move, performs a kombo, repeats process over and over again until you are defeated. I swear, if you can beat this game on normal or hard difficulty, you must be skilled and patient. This means that easy mode is good and playable, right? Well, not exactly. Early on, you just have to back your opponent into a corner and keep hitting them repeatedly and you win. They won't even resist early on. No challenge and bad AI = no fun. The controls aren't great either, but that's because of the layout of the GBA. It's also worth noting that attacks are very buggy and do inconsistent damage. Also, don't even get me started on special moves. They will be very hard to execute thanks to the controls, plus the enemy will be cheap and block almost every projectile special move. This game definitely seems like it was rushed because of all of these problems. With a little more development time, this game could have been good. But alas, it is not good at all.

Well, there are way better looking GBA games than this. I think the original versions of the game look better than this. The character sprites and stage designs are pretty lacking. However, the graphics aren't really horrible. They just aren't top-notch, but I guess that's to be expected from a game like this.

The music in this game is actually pretty good. The tunes are redone versions of what were in the original UMK3, and they're well-done. I think there are only a few different tunes in the whole game, but they're pretty good. However, the other sound effects aren't good. The noises from punching and kicking are pretty bad, and there are very few character voice samples. Basically, the sound in this game is a mixed bag. At least it's not completely bad, unlike everything else in this game.

Play Time/Replayability: 0/10
This game has no playability, so it naturally can't have any replayability. You won't want to ever play it again after you play it once. There is multiplayer (where you don't have to deal with the bad AI!), but there will still be glitches in it. Besides, that would mean that you would have to have a friend or brother who also wasted money on this game.

What went wrong? Everything. This game has very few good points, and what few it does have are overshadowed by the many flaws. MKA is not worthy of the MK name and is not worthy of your money. If you do buy this game, you will probably quickly find yourself returning it to the store for a refund. Let's try to forget that this disaster ever happened. If you want portable Mortal Kombat, buy Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition instead.

Reviewer's Score: 1/10 | Originally Posted: 08/02/04