Review by blueninja4444

"Mortal Kombat Has Always Been and Always Will Be"

In the words of Raiden himself, “Mortal Kombat has always been and always will be” so you know that means there's gonna be tons of Mortal Kombat games, but is this game really worth owning or playing? After all, this game came out not too long after the ever so disappointing Mortal Kombat Advance. Well, better forget that game and call this Mortal Kombat Advance, because it is not only the best Mortal Kombat game for the Game Boy Advance, but also the greatest fighter and maybe best game in general. Why do I say that? Well......

The graphics in this game are outstanding! They are the best graphics I've ever seen on the GBA. Big backgrounds with lots of variety, characters have good detail. The only real problem is that the characters' faces are blurry, but it's so minor I won't even take off any score. The variety of backgrounds and the realism of the blood are more than I ever thought the GBA was capable of. Excellent!

I have a few GBA games but this one has the best sound, by far! You can hear the announcer say everything he should from “Scorpion wins” to “Test you sight” to “Fatality”. The character grunts and yells are varied enough for you to not get a repetitive fell, and the background music is clearly above average for a GBA game. Someone put a lot of time in the music and sounds section.

Controls: 9/10
The controls in this game are very convenient, and easy to learn. They even brought back some old combinations like Scorpion's spear being back, back, punch instead of back, forward punch. R blocks, L changes styles but it's all self explanatory. You don't need a manual or anything just pick it up and enjoy.

The story is just like Deadly Alliance for the home systems. The only real problem is that the story makes good use of characters who aren't even in this game like Raiden, Mavado, Moloch, Hsu Hao and more. It's kind of disappointing since those characters are only in Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition as far as GBA is concerned.

The gameplay is so advanced for GBA it's so hard to believe. It's almost like you're really playing Deadly Alliance for the home systems, but it's so hard to believe because this is only Game Boy Advance. There are tons of special moves and fatalities to add to the fun of this game. Each character has 2 fighting styles and 1 fatality, it's very interesting. Not to mention the koins and Krypt mode. You can earn koins by beating opponents in any mode, even gamble your koins against a friend with 2 player link-up mode. You then use these koins to unlock things in the Krypt. Mostly you unlock color changes for the characters in the game, such as getting a gray outfit for Scorpion so he looks like Smoke, or a crazy colored Shang Tsung just for laughs. Other unlockables include new arenas, and changing the theme of the fights to things such as “VB Mode” which simulates the colors of the old Virtual Boy System, or “Classic Mode” which makes everything black and white.

Replay Value: 10/10
This game has great replay value, especially for a GBA game. Without using any cheats or anything it could take you a good number of hours to unlock everything in the Krypt and see every character's ending. Best of all, you are allowed to save a “profile” which keeps track of all your wins, losses, koins and more, so nothing in this game is ever done without reward or consequence. As I look at my profile now, it tells me how long I've played this game, so far I'm up to 19 hours. That's good enough for a 10 rating from me.

Overall: 10
I think this game truly deserves a 10 rating. It's such a great game, I'm surprised they didn't need the Nintendo DS' capabilities to have this many arenas and sounds and such. This is honestly one of the greatest games you will find on the GBA. I recommend buying it if you are a Mortal Kombat fan.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/23/06