Review by BeatboxMastah

"The first Castlevania is better than this."

First of all, I would like to say that the Castlevania series are one of my favorite games. The RPG elements with the side scrolling action is a perfect combination. Every Castlevania games have beautiful music. But this one, pisses me off. This game has one of the ugliest music I have ever heard in a game.

Story: Its still the same. Dracula gets revived and you have to kill him. The main character, Juste Belmont is an Alucard wannabe that uses a whip and some magic.

Graphics: All I have to say is its really your average gameboy graphics. Juste looks like a clown and the others are just bland. Nothing to see here. The only notable thing is that the enemies are taken from Symphony of the Night but a wee bit smaller and deformed. The stages seem a bit boring for a Castlevania game.

Gameplay: This one is fine since its another rip-off of Symphony of the Night. The gameplay is still the same. Kill an enemy, move forward, kill a boss, find an item which grants a special ability and backtrack. I got used to it and it really isn't a problem. The ability to cast a magic is a great addition. But the real tedious part is you have to backtrack all of the castle which is quite large here. The bosses here are not what I'd call challenging. They are like normal enemies but with a high HP and a room for them but they're not that special. There are some bosses that are just palette-swaped because they look the same with just different shades of colors.

Music: Now this affected my rating of the game. One reason that I play Castlevania is to listen to the awesome music. Harmony of Dissonance really remains faithful to its name. All you hear is just noise and some weird sound effects made by the enemies. I call the music here garbage. The music from the first Castlevania game beats the crappy music in this game. It doesn't fit the mood and makes the entire game a walk through a boring park. I really recommend turning it off so you don't have to listen to the game's stupid noise music.

Replayability: Its up to you if you want to play through this hell again but for me one is enough. I suggest you find another gameboy advance game since you will probably be wasting your money here.

Buy or Rent: If you want to try then I suggest you rent because you might regret buying it since its not worth your money.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 06/06/08

Game Release: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (US, 09/16/02)