Review by TJackson

"A great Castlevania game, but still outdone"

Harmony had several great Castlevania games to try to beat (Dracula X, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon), and it did just fine. It seems to have taken several elements from those games (some of the best elements, mind you), and combined them together. Examples of this are the combining of the items with the books (like DSS in Circle) to get a sort of item crash (from part of Symphony and Dracula X)

Gameplay-6/10

This game had a fairly easy difficulty level (in my opinion). Other variations on its difficulty level come later... The other variation was too big of a leap, though. You almost expect there to be a difficulty level in the middle. This is the only flaw as far as game play is concerned. The controls for the game are pretty nice.

Story-9/10

If you have ever played a Castlevania game, you know the story. This one had a couple of nice little plot twists to make the story even better. This game revives the Belmont clan to their former glory, after being replaced for a little while with distant relations, such as the Graves, and the Schneiders.

Graphics-10/10

This game truely used the many capabilities of the Game Boy Advance. The graphics are easily compared to Symphony. Also, having Juste glowing was a neat effect.

Sound-8/10

The sound effects were actually pretty good. My problem is with the new music. I was hoping for remixes of past games, but oh well. Again, this is a feature used in Symphony.

Replayability-10/10

Heh. Just like Symphony, this game had...added features once the game was cleared. This game is also fun enough to be replayed over and over, as most Castlevania games are. Also, those of us that are old-school players get a special treat... There is also the deal with the map. Symphony and Circle also had this feature. You get a percentage grade on how much of the map you have completed. It is fun to go back and try to find places that you missed. IT can get annoying sometimes, though, and that is its only error.

Buy or Rent-9/10

NOTE: 10 is closer to buy. This game's...uh...odd difficulty level certainly is the only thing that brings this score down. With an excellent replay value, you have two choices:

1) Buy the game for about $50

2) Rent the game for so long that you could have bought it for all of your family with the money you used.

All in all, this is a truly great game, with its only (dare I say) failure in game play. The game that it is most easily compared to is Symphony.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/25/02, Updated 06/25/02