Review by UncleUlty

"Wow!!! I didn't think you could beat COTM"

Amazing, simply amazing, I remember saying that on GBA launch day after playing Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. When I went to pick up Harmony I was praying for it to be ''as good''. Well it isn't, its actually better, here is why.

Controls 10/10

Its a lot easier to make good controls on a 2d game then a 3d game but even still, you have to give Konami credit for making the controls THIS good. I can't explain it exactly but after only playing both this and Circle of the Moon, it felt second nature within minutes. True they are both similar to Symphony of the Night but at the time, I hadn't played it much. The new dash moves are a great new addition to traveling through enemyless corridors and everything else is perfect.

Gameplay 10/10

I mean come on!!! This game literally is the epitome of great Gameplay. The castle layout and every save room spot is placed to where you think that the game makers thought about each little detail for hours. And it shows. Many little things done right can truly make a great game, and Castlevania HOD gets the big and little things right.

Sound 7/10

Lets face it, you don't play Castlevania for the music, you just don't. Even the makers of the game said that they decided to put more into the graphics and deduct from the sound quality. The music isn't very good, but its not noticeable enough to deduct anymore points from the category. Put on some hard rock music or just some funky organ if you really want to be cool, and just turn the GBA sound off, other than various grunts from Juste Belmont, you wont miss much.

Graphics 9/10

The graphics may just push what the GBA can do to the max. The character sprite of Juste and the bosses and enemies is superb, especially compared to the last Castlevania on the GBA, and the Magic and Special Attacks are very pretty. It rivals the looks of Symphony of the Night and well...that's impressive.

Replay Value 10/10

You will probably not find a game with more replay value then this, other than maybe Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, but that's about it. Many different modes that you can only unlock after beating the game in different modes will keep you on this game for a long time. With the money you have left over after purchasing this game, you may consider buying your girlfriend or spouse a present after ignoring her for 3 months straight.

Final Thoughts

I gave this game a 10 even though my scores wouldn't average out to a 10. You see there is a hidden category called ''Awesomeness'' and this game got like 15 points in it.
No, seriously, buy this game, and if you don't have a GBA buy it and then buy this game, you owe it to yourself.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/26/02, Updated 09/26/02