Review by Sir Garland

"The title isn't the only thing that doesn't make sense..."

I was really looking forward to this game. I turned a blind eye to most of it's faults at the beginning, but by the end I just wanted to kill the last boss and be done with it.

Gameplay= 3

There are two types of enemies at the beginning- The ones that you have to hit, dash backwards, and hit once more to kill them, and the ones where you just hit them to kill them. It gets more complex as the game goes on, but you won't have anything like Symphony of the Night's battles with Guardians or Circle of the Moon's boss battles. The regular enemies aren't all that important though, right? Well, they are if you're going to be fighting them as much as you do in this game, backtracking all over two castles. The bosses, though, are simply pathetic. For all the player can tell, the only difference between bosses is how they look and how much damage touching their elbow does to you. Seriously. There are probably 5-8 bosses that are almost exactly the same. They're really large, but not so tall that you can't jump over them with the right stuff. They take a step and let you hit them with your whip two or three times, then they either take another step or attack you. By ''attack you'', I mean that they bring their weapon above their heads, and 15 seconds later they bring it down to the floor, by which time you're halfway across the room throwing daggers at them. My personal favorite boss is a large, lumbering beast that follows the generic boss patterns, but has a huge pike. Yes, he tries to bash you with a pike. The bosses are very easy, and the only thing that keeps you from being able to beat them with your eyes closed is that for some reason you lose about one third of your total health every time you touch them. But that's ok because by the time you get to the ''harder'' ones at the end you've done the drill so many times that it's really easy not to get hit. About half of this game is spent wandering around hoping you'll find the next movement upgrade so you can go explore more of the castle.

Graphics= 10

Yeah, they look pretty nice. I really like the clouds in the Corridor of Air.

Sound= 0

Ugh!!! Horrible, horrible, horrible!!! Every soundtrack in the entire game sounds like a mix between classical music and 80's rock done by a seven year old. You would think that they would at least have the decency to take music from one of the previous games, but they decided to let their pet gerbils do the music instead. The only one that sounds even halfway decent is a mutated version of the N64's Castlevania's intro. It plays in the Corridor of Air, and is like... a beautiful painting that some cat has pissed on.

Replay Value- N/A

It was bad enough the first time around, let's not try a second.

---------------------

When you finish this game, you get the Sound Test option. Yeah, that's about as useful as finishing the game and getting an option to erase your save data. SotN was awesome, CotM was average, and HoD is just plain bad.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 10/01/02, Updated 10/01/02