Review by sir penguin

"Can the sequel live up to the original? Find out..."

Intro

Wow. That's all I can say. I picked up this gem thinking ''Well, the original was great, but how will this one fare?'' I can honestly say that this is better the original in a lot of ways. I have never had such an experience with a GBA game like this.

I usually don't like putting graphic scores in my reviews, because i feel graphics make up for only 1/8 of the game. However, the graphics on this game are insane. Its amazing how a little cartridge can hold so much. When your just walking around, think of the Secret of Mana series, but much better. The graphics are bright, detailed, and easy on the eyes.

But the real fun begins with battles. The backgrounds differ depending on the area you are fighting. The spells, called ''Psy-energy'' have awesome effects (Check out Ragnarok!) as well as the summons. Monsters could of been better, but most of the time you'll like looking at them.

Gameplay is amazing, i can't stress this enough. I haven't seen this good of gameplay since a Zelda game. In the field, walking and exploring are very fun. While its fairly Linear in the beginning, once you acquire more Psyenergy spells you can back-track and collect new items, and Djinn. Oh yah, thats another thing. Djinn are these little creatures that power up your char with stats, abilities and more importantly: Summons.

This brings me on to battle. Battle is nice, and customizable. Its turn based, which some people (like me) love so you can make strategic decisions. You can attack, cast spells, release Djinn (By releasing them they give a special attack), cast summons or throw a bomb at the enemy from your items. Boss battles will be intense, as you bring down his HP with powerful attacks, and wondering how much damage can his guy do!?

Sound/Music: 9/10
I love the music in this game. The title screen, the town music, everything. You'll never get tired of it.

Sound is another issue though. Most of it is good, like a sword hitting a enemy, or the sound Mind Reading makes, but a lot of it gets annoying. You'll get tired of the ''Enemy Dying'' sound effect and the sounds of some spells. However, this isnt a big deal, becuase the music drowns it out.

Control: 10/10
It's hard to mess up on controls with a GBA game. Controls make sense. A is context sensitive, talking or bringing up the menu. B cancels stuff, and you hold it to run. L and R are psyenergy shortcuts (Your new best friend), select is also the menu, Start to pause and save. Easy huh?

This disappointed me. It's alright, a nice sequel story, but it lacks something. Don't expect any twists, or any thing to surprise you. It's just a plain ol' RPG story. Not to say it isn't interesting, it's just average.

I don't want to spoil the little story it has, but it revolves around Felix, Jenna's brother. Your quest seems very different from Issac (Main char from GS1) though. I love Felix though, so i bumped up some points for the story. Also, don't forget completely about issac and company.

Replay: 6/10
Meh, its ok. I'm on my 2nd run right now, and it's ok. It'll be fun to try to get the best weapons and a lot of Djinn, then totally WASTE the final boss.

One thing to keep in mind is the password system. IF you beat GS1, then you can get a password, which in turn you input in GS:TLA. This gives you more Djinn, and equipment and some items you had on your first quest. A lot of these Items and Djinn can only be gotten this way.

Buy or Rent? Yay or Nay?
Buy. Yes, this is an awesome game, that shouldn't be passed up. I would go as far as saying it is currently the best RPG on GBA. Deff. Yay!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/20/03, Updated 04/20/03