Review by BlueInferno83

"What a sequel!"

Golden Sun: The Lost Age is many things. Rather than name all of them right now, I'll just skip to the best part and say this: Golden Sun: The Lost Age is a masterpiece! This game absolutely rocks. If you liked the first Golden Sun, then you will definitely love this game. There is no doubt about it. Although I did not find this game as enjoyable as the first, I do think that it had its charms and it is definitely exquisite. I loved the first one so much that it is hard to top. AHEM…let me go on with the review.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age takes place directly after the events of Golden Sun. However, in this game, the main character is Felix, who, in the first Golden Sun, was the one the party was chasing after. This refreshing perspective gives the gamer the other side of the story: the story of the so-called “baddies” from Golden Sun 1. But let me tell you this. Do not play this game unless you have played the first one. This game makes reference to a lot of the events from Golden Sun 1, and if you didn’t play the first game, then you will be lost.

The graphics and format of this game are just like Golden Sun 1. You know what they say: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Well, the graphics in this game definitely weren’t broken, and therefore, they didn’t need to go and screw everything up by trying to redraw the scenes and make changes that they felt would be better. Felix is definitely one of the coolest look heroes I have ever seen. Piers also had a cool look. Golden Sun has some great artists for their characters.

Although you hear a few old favorites from the first one, this game basically has all new music. You can tell the music is made by the same composer, but that’s what makes it great. The music in this game is very original and not at all overplayed. They have unique music for different caves, towns, and even battle scenes. I swear, at one point, I was ready to break dance to the over world music.

Although the story was great, it had a few flaws. One was that the game was too open. You weren’t told where to go, especially when you got the ship and had to sail to the eastern sea. Also, the plot depended too much on that of Golden Sun 1. There wasn’t enough independent story lines to go along with Golden Sun: The Lost Age and the characters involved. However, I suppose that is to be expected when the game comes almost immediately after Golden Sun 1, so that can slide. All in all, the story had definitely a lot more positives than negatives.

Battle System: 9/10
The battle system for the monsters you encountered walking around outside was quite easy. Similar to Golden Sun 1 (well, exactly like it), it had turn based, random battles. In these battles, you can use “Djinn,” monsters that add to your power. Each Djinn can be assigned to a different character and then the Djinn will use their powers in order to assist your party. The battle system is pretty cool and unique, except a lot of the bosses towards the end are very cheap and cheat a lot (especially the final boss.)

Difficulty: 10/10
This is a very hard game. I won’t beat around the bush here: there are some very complicated puzzles. The bosses towards the end, as I mentioned earlier, are also very difficult to defeat. These battles require a lot of strategy and it is essential that you utilize your Djinn so that you can defeat these guys.

Replay Value: 9/10
This game has definite replay value. I would love to play this game again, and probably will sometime in the future. If you truly love this series the way I do, then you will want to play again.

Originality: 10/10
Okay, so the game isn’t COMPLETELY original. I mean, the graphics, sound, and plot are almost exactly those of Golden Sun 1. But what makes this game original is the option to transfer the date from Golden Sun 1 to Golden Sun: The Lost Age. That’s right; you can use the same characters, stats, Djinn, and items you had in Golden Sun 1 for Golden Sun: The Lost Age. This is done through a password which is used in order to store data. When you start a new game of Golden Sun: The Lost Age, it will prompt for the password. All you have to do is put the password in, and presto, the characters will have their stats from the first game.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age was a game that I was really looking forward to playing. I couldn’t wait to see the outcome of the events that happened in the first game. Will there be a Golden Sun III? I sure hope so! I loved Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age so much that if there wasn’t a third one, I would be sorely disappointed. This game series hasn’t exactly gotten the most recognition from the critics or the fans. It hasn’t reached the proportions of a PSO or a Final Fantasy. I think one day it will. Even if it doesn’t, these games will still rock my socks!

I would recommend this game to anyone, but I do advise that you play Golden Sun 1 first. They do give a short summary of the events that transpired in Golden Sun 1 at the beginning of Golden Sun: The Lost Age, but it is not a very good one. It is much better to have played the game and be able to relate to what they are talking about. There are a few moments in Golden Sun: The Lost Age where knowing things from the first game will come in handy. So what are you waiting for? Go out and buy it…NOW!!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/07/04