Review by kingdodongo1

"Is it just me or is Link in his pajamas the whole game."

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is often considered to be the best in the series, even better than Ocarina of Time. I would have to disagree, but it's still a great game with lots to offer.

The graphics in Link to the Past are awesome. The Game Boy Advance is clearly pushing it's limits with this game, but there's no slow down. The game works tremendously well, even with it's graphical flare. There is rich, vibrant color in every area of the game. There's also a ton of detail in the buildings, people and landscapes. This is something you don't see very often in a GBA game. The graphics are fantastic, at least by GBA standards.

The sound and audio is also done extremely well. The music especially, because it has a lot of variety. It sometimes has up beat, happy music. However, it will also have some dark and saddening music. Regardless, it's all fantastically done and very addictive. There is, obviously, no voice acting. However, I see that as a good thing, because it lets you create the characters into the people you want them to be. It is a great production of sound.

The story is pretty basic, rare for a Zelda game, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. SO, all of the maidens of Hyrule are being sent to the Dark World. This is because of an evil sorcerer, Agahnim, is trying to get rid of the sage descendants. This way he can get the Triforce and rule the light world. You stop him and learn a few things, namely that Ganon is involved. I won't give any information about that because it will ruin the plot. It's a good story, that's the point.

This is where my few complaints lie. The game, unfortunately, has only one item button. This means that you can't keep two items out at a time. This leads to a lot of menu screen searching for the item you want. The frequency at which you change weapons will get a little annoying. I have another complaint. While Link to the Past has an overall average difficulty, the progression has it's problems. There are plenty of spikes in difficulty that you aren't expecting, and it can often lead to your death. The controls work smoothly though, so the minor flaws aren't too harmful.

Positive
1. Graphics look great on the GBA.
2. Sounds terrific.
3. Adds some darkness to the story.

Negative
1. Story is a bit too basic.
2. Difficulty progression is off.
3. Item changing is too frequent.

Overall, you should definitely own this game. It is good, I just think it gets a little to much praise. So, while it isn't perfect, you should definitely pick this up, because it's a ton of fun.

I give it 8 Heart Pieces...out of 10.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/26/08

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (US, 12/03/02)