Review by Loki 174

"Best Zelda game I ever played! With multiplayer!"

Having never played the SNES version before, I thought this would be a good game to add to my collection. I was wrong. This is a GREAT game to add to anyone's collection! If you've never played the SNES version before [like me] then I strongly advise you to get this game. And a strategy guide while you're at it. you'll be lost without one.

If you have at least 3 friends with GBAs and copies of this game, then go out and buy 3 GBA link cables so you can enjoy the multiplayer aspect of this game: ''4 Swords''. You can play with as few as one other player, or up to 3 other players at once. 4 Swords is a mix of co-operative and competitive gameplay. So you and your friend(s) need to team up in certain situations, while in other situations, you need to run around collecting more rupees than the other guy. Either way, whether you end up giving your friends a hug, or end up beating their heads into the ground, you'll enjoy this great game and come back to it, time and time again.

As for the main game; A Link to the Past, you'll enjoy this just as much as 4 Swords. It's challenging at times [pretty much ALL the time, IMO] but aside from the difficulty, it's as enjoyable as ever.

Graphics: 7
Well, the game has the same SNES graphics, so it's nothing spectacular, and it's not like they could make it any better, but I go by the philosophy: ''Judge games by Gameplay; not graphics.'' So with that, let's move on to the next section: gameplay, yes?

Gameplay: 9
Unless you didn't notice it, I already said that this was the best Zelda game yet. ^_^ The gameplay is solid gold. The controls are very simple. It would take you over 24 hours of playing to get through this game completely if you never played it before, giving you ample time to enjoy it.

You're probably wondering why I gave the gameplay a 9 instead of a 10, right? It's because of the difficulty. Some of the bosses *coughMoldormcough* are eye-popingly hard to beat, and draw you to the point of wanting to throw your GBA at the wall, but definitely not as much as Metroid Fusion did for me. *twitch*

Sound/Music: 8
You obviously won't be expecting Dolby Digital Surround Sound on a GBA, now would you? The sound is good, but the dungeon music gets EXTREMELY repetitive after the 3rd dungeon, which is why your GBA has that sound control. And sometimes, when I save the game, the sound is muffled, so I have to save the game twice for it to revert back to normal, but that's probably just a minor glitch in the programming.

Replay value: 9
Well, it's not exactly Phantasy Star Online, but this game does have it's golden gameplay to keep drawing you back to play it over again. Besides that, the 4 Swords part will make you want to play it again and again if you can convince your friends to play it with you for a 70th time.

This game has a permanent spot in my library of games. Now that you've finished reading my little review, you should be in your car, off to Wal-Mart and looking for this game, right? [Note: be sure to pick up the Prima strategy guide while your at it.]

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/03, Updated 01/03/03