Review by KeyBlade999

"Third time was the charm then, same today!"

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 is the peak of all Mario games, at least the original, by copies sold. It is the number one selling game of all time (well, in 2007). It had sold around seventeen million copies, and it is no wonder. This game is awesome! Time for a bit of history. Back in the 1980s, Nintendo starting making some arcade games, namely Donkey Kong and Jumpman. Later, they moved Jumpman, or Mario, as you know him today, to their new system, the NES. They made several games for it, such as Super Mario Bros. 3. They kept going until the NES was becoming old. The SNES was then released. Games such as Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario RPG were released. Also released was the Super Mario World series: Super Mario World and then Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Later, though, even the SNES became obsolete, as all consoles eventually do. Nintendo therefore released the Nintendo 64. Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros., and Mario Party are some of the games released for this console. Later, the GameCube was released. Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Mario Sunshine, among others, were released for this console. The Nintendo Wii was the next home console to be released. Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Super Mario Galaxy are some of the more well-known games for this. However, as you know, Nintendo worked on handhelds, too.

Their first handhelds were the Game Boy and Game Boy Color. I don't remember if any Mario games were released for these. However, there are some Mario games for the next consoles, the Game Boy Advance, the Game Boy Advance SP, and Game Boy Micro, all of which play Game Boy Advance games. Some NES and SNES games were remade and put onto these more accessible systems. Super Mario World got its remake as Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2. Yoshi's Island got its remake as Super Mario Advance 3: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3, the subject of this review, also were remade. Other originals include Super Mario RPG's sequel, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and Mario Kart. Nintendo also released the Nintendo DS. The original was released in 2004; the Nintendo DS Lite in 2006; the Nintendo DSi in 2009; the DSi XL in a point in 2010. New Super Mario Bros. (the original Super Mario Bros.'s remake) was released in 2006. Super Mario 64 DS was released in 2004. Mario Party DS was also released. Others include Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Yoshi's Island DS, and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Anyways, yeah, a lot of handheld Mario have been released, especially recently.

Enough on Nintendo, let's focus on the best game ever.

The gameplay is rather simple. This game, like most early Mario games, is a side-scroller. It is rather tough to put that into words. Hmmm... Okay, when you start a level, you start at a point, usually at the western point. You then move the opposite direction, which is where the finish line usually is. In this game, it is a square with a Mushroom, Fire Flower, and a Star going through it. However, you might start at the top, in which case you head downward. If you start at the right, head left. Pretty simple. However, you cannot just spend forever in a level, you know. There is a time limit of usually 300 in-game seconds. I say "in-game" because they do not EXACTLY match real time. Therefore, you usually have just less than five minutes.

New to this game is the choice of level, not seen in previous Mario games. You can choose whether to play Level 1 or Level 4. Do a castle, or should I go to Level 5 first? That new concept allowed some stuff to be put into this game, such as item houses and a choice of when to warp. This allows you even skip some levels, as long as you have the correct item. Such a concept is great, as it influenced later games, such as the Super Mario World series and sort of influenced Super Mario 64 and the similar games. Nintendo was likely the first to discover the concept.

There is also a multiplayer function not found (I think) in the NES version. Using some Game Boy Advances, a link cable, and one or more game cartridges, you can play multiplayer. It is rather simple. In it, you compete ... sorry, I forgot. I have had a Nintendo DS more than my sold Game Boy Advance, so I cannot tell you. However, I can tell you this: it is very similar to the Mario Bros. game that is also with the game cartridge. Anyways, both of the Mario Bros. modes are good to play.

The story is the same as ever. While going for a walk or something, Peach disappears! The Mario Bros. believe that Bowser is up to his old tricks again. They now travel eight diverse worlds, from glaciers to volcanoes, from the desert to the ocean, just to save her once more. The classic series story, isn't it? Nevertheless, the story of such classic Mario games is not important, it is the gameplay.

The graphics are decent. The colors vibrant and compliment each other, and colorful graphics cover everything. There is so much new to be seen, like the redesigned enemies, Mario's various forms, and the eight diverse environments. There are also new enemies to be seen, such as the Fire Bro., the Roto-Disk, and the Giant Cheep-cheep. With many new things to be seen, you would think that this wouldn't be as good as the original two. Apparently, practice makes perfect as Nintendo goes up and above what we saw in their previous games. Let us enjoy the result of their hard work.

The sound effects are okay. The sound can come through pretty clearly. Of course, the meaning of many environments, many new enemies, and many new forms for Mario is not good for just the graphics, but the sound as well. Until now, we haven't heard Mario fly, hop, or throw hammers, have we? Have we heard Mario (unfortunately) be eaten, or heard the music of an item house? Until this game was released, the answer was NO. Now, Nintendo has expanded Mario's abilities, as well as his enemies'. Each environment also has its own theme. An icy area has a sort of tinkly music, while the deserts have a sort of deep hip-hop kind of music. There is a lot to be seen, as well as heard.

This can take a while to beat, about two days to a week. However, it is possible to beat it in a mere six (or less!) hours. Yes, I beat it less than six hours. However, that is tough to do without much experience of World 8 (I never got past World 7 without warping until I was ten). Anywho, why would you NOT replay? I bet you cannot come up with a reason. You can give your self so many challenges. Come on; try to do better than me.

Yes, Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 was, now, and always will be one of the greatest games on the face of the Earth. A true best-seller, and it has earned every penny that it earned. That game has got to be the greatest game of all time, even if it isn't in the GameFAQs Top 100. It doesn't have to be. Buy it and enjoy what will be the best time of your life. I have enjoyed this since I was two years old, and have enjoyed every single second playing this game, and I hope you will, too.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/02/10

Game Release: Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (US, 10/21/03)