Review by iloveraigan

"Stealth Action On The GBA!"

Introduction

Hearing how good Splinter Cell was on other platforms, I thought I would buy it for the Gameboy Advance. My expectations of Splinter Cell were high, considering how Gameboy graphics had progressed over time, and I was not disappointed!

Gameplay - 10/10

Splinter Cell is all about stealth, which makes it a hard game to an extent, but what's the fun in playing games that aren't challenging? Here's a couple pros and cons of Splinter Cell:

Pros:

* After you complete certain objectives or advance through some parts of a mission, if you were to die, get caught, etc, you can resume form that last ''checkpoint''.

* For your hard work, you can unlock bonus missions. (You need to complete certain things to get these bonuses)

Cons:

* You get the opportunity to unlock bonus missions in Splinter Cell - Five come from playing Splinter Cell on the Gameboy Advance, which is fine, but to get another five you need to have Splinter Cell on Gamecube. (Another money-making scheme from Nintendo)

* The objectives you need to complete to get 100% on missions can be fairly hard.

The pros outweigh the cons easily - the list for pros could go on. The cons aren't all that bad, they're just a slight downside to what is really a great game! In relation to the objectives you need to complete to get 100% on a mission you need to get through the mission under a set time, not use too many bullets, set off a minimal amount of alarms and open all safes. Sounds easy? Think again!

Story - 10/10

Infiltrate terrorists' positions, acquire critical intelligence by any means necessary, execute with extreme prejudice, and exit without a trace! You are Sam Fisher, a highly trained secret operative of the NSA's secret arm: Third Echelon. The world balance is in your hands, as cyber terrorism and international tensions are about to explode into WWIII.

Graphics/Sound - 10/10

The graphics and music/sound effects are great for a hand-held gaming unit! The sounds used in this game relate to the type of game this is, if you understand what I mean! ^_^ This is just a demonstration of how well the Gameboy Advance is coming along, and possibly what we can come to expect in the future!

Play Time/Replayability - 10/10

Playing Splinter Cell is rather easy, but some aspects of the game take a bit of getting used to. Although the objectives which class getting 100% in missions are hard, playing to get 100% means playing the missions over and over again to try out different strategies, which adds to the games' replayability. Basically, if you like this game you will get excellent replayability out of it.

Final Recommendation

Overall, Splinter Cell is a game worth your money! It's fun and easy to play, but challenging to master! If you are after a game that will test your stealth skills for the Gameboy Advance, this is the game for you! Great Gameplay, Story, Graphics/Sound and Play Time/Replayability = Great Game!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/13/03