Review by TJackson

"The worst GBA port? Probably."

Note: This review compares it to the original game. That's pretty much what everything's based off of.

Let's get this straight: I love the original Donkey Kong Country. Excellent game. I was expecting a bunch from this, which was my first mistake. My second was buying this piece of junk.

They changed a lot of the excellent things about this game. For example, the map. Now it's a closeup, the layout has changed, and it just seems really messed up. Second, for the levels in which it rains -- the darkness is all messed up! That added so much to the effect. Third, you can save whenever you want, drastically changing the challenge. And Funky's Fishing? Candy's Dance Contest? Sheesh. The boss music is really screwed up too. The GBA just doesn't have the capacity for this game, evidently, as the music sounds like something that came from the original Gameboy.

Gameplay - 7/10

It's still fun, regardless. Again, the map is a major pain, but it's fun. You go through each level, destroy enemies, trying to get the K-O-N-G letters, and finding the bonus levels, which remains as fun as ever. However, the label the bonus levels Donkey Kong Country 2-style. The bananas are still around, and one-hundred of those still give you a 1-up. The bosses, however, are evil, simply because of the tiny screen and lack of graphics. Oh, and Crankey coming on to the screen and talking at the end of the boss fights gets annoying.

Story - 5/10

It's not a very good story. King K. Rool and his Kremling horde have broken in to Donkey Kong's private banana storage, and stolen his bananas. Donkey wants them back. He'll get them back.

Music and Graphics - 2/10

What the...? The ruined this game as far as these two go. The ported music sounds terrible, and some of the music is so bad, is sounds redone. This is most noticeable in the boss fights.

The graphics are also really bad. I'm not usually the type to care about graphics, but in this case, you can't help it. Everything looks more pixilated than it did in the original. Plus the backgrounds are really poor. The boss backgrounds and the level backgrounds now take away so much from the effect the original game had.

Replayability - 3/10

Ugh, I could not stand to play this thing that ruins the good name Donkey Kong Country had again. The only thing that is really worth replaying for is to get all of the snapshots, but you could just revisit the levels to do that.

Buy or Rent? - Neither.

Look, if you really want to get it, try to find the original Donkey Kong Country. I'm sure you could get it on eBay.

As said, this game was really disappointing. I was hoping for a good port of Donkey Kong Country. I was wrong.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 06/14/03, Updated 06/14/03