Review by MooNz

"Castlevania Comes Alive Again"

I recently went and picked up this game at my local GameStop. From the minute I plugged it into my GBA SP I was hooked. This game has some new aspects to it that none of the pervious Castlevania game had.

~*~Story~*~
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. Is the first Castlevania game set in the future, it is set in the year 2035 when a solar-eclipse is about to happen. Soma Cruz, the hero, is a high school student walking to a shrine with his friend to witness this, when he suddenly blacks-out. When he awakens he is inside a strange castle, he must fight off numbers of zombies and demons to find the reason. The overall story is good and original.

~*~Controls~*~
Well the controls for the game are pretty simple. Attack, Jump, Move, ect, ect, ect. Equip different combinations of Souls and use them to you will. Not really much here, so nothing can go wrong.

~*~Sound~*~
One word...beautuful. There is nothing like hacking zombies to pieces with a lance or axe while listening to eerie music. All music in this game is perfect from the beginning to the end.

~*~Graphics>~*~
Most people find this to be the most important part of a game. With cruddy graphics comes cruddy games. Well I am happy to say that this game has more then awesome! I love the way this game looks on the Gameboy SP. I'm sure it looks just as great on a GBA to, but I like the feeling of playing in the dark. Every monster sprite looks great. The whole game just has more color and is easier to see then in previous Castlevania games where color was a problem and it was hard to see things.

~*~Gameplay~*~
As a mentioned before, if you like the the hack and slash type of game then this is one for you. There is also more to the game then just killing the monster though. Sometimes when you slay a monster you have the chance of taking it's Soul. You can take various types of souls and customize the way you battle. You get experience for killing and level up just like a traditional RPG. This is the type of game that hardcore and casual gamers alike could play.

~*~Overall~*~
This is a great game, if you are unsure if it is the type of game for you then rent it first. This is the type of game that you can just play for awhile then sit it down and come back later where you left off. For the casual gamers you will be pleased with this. And for all the hardcore gamers that think this might be to easy then there are plenty to keep you busy to, try collecting all the souls, and find all the secret areas.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/08/03, Updated 05/08/03