Review by Shaun500

"HM4 certaintly lives up to it's name..."

To begin with, this is a GREAT game.
It lives up to the Harvest Moon legends.

Why? Let me tell you...

Typical Harvest Moon story. Somehow, someone passes away. Boy takes over farm, makes it a roaring business.
I gave it an 8, because... What kind of storyline can you create with a never-ending farming simulation?

I gave it a 8, also because the gameplay storyline is good... Better than before. The storyline as you play the game, and the girls and all? They rock.. I'll cover that more under Extras.

The only other game that can compare to the graphics is Golden Sun. If you've played the 2D Final Fantasy on Playstation.. Think that, plus much more smoothing up, and fluidity. Very good job by Natsume. All the actions are nice and smooth, and character animations and portraits are very very nicely done.
The whole game has a slightly foggy effect to it, adding the impression that it looks smooth. The foggy effect does not get in the way though.. It just does that slight touch that is needed to give it a bit of class. You can see by the screenshots.

Controls: 9/10

The controls are similar to the older HM series, however the shortcuts for items are a little irritating. Switching tools is very easy, but retrieving items from you rucksack, and changing tools from your rucksack to your chest is hard, to say the least. The only other place where it fails is that you STILL cant move diagonally, which gets to be a pain sometimes. Other than that, it's all nice and good.

The sound is nice and melodic. Sometimes you can even start humming along. The spring and summer tunes are nice. Fall is slightly more laidback, but the winter tune simply rocks.
The music is much more improved compared to the GBA Harvest Moon series.
Menu sounds and action sounds are nice too, not too crisp, nor too deep. The sounds all fit in perfectly, in short.

Replay Value: 10/10

Put it this way. It's a farming game that never ends. You'll be able to play this for a few hundred hours at least before you finally put it down. There's just so much to do, you'll never stop. Time simply flies with this game.

This game is slick, to say the least. Everything is nice and smooth, and who does not like smooth games? The game is addictive, keeps giving you new things, has ongoing quests, games, mini-games, records to set and beat...
What can I say? This is one of my very top 5 games, rivalled only by Golden Sun I & II.

Result: 10/10

This game is SLICK. Get it now. Don't wait anymore. You wont regret it.. Trust me.

Rent or Buy: BUY. Definitely. You wont be able to ''finish'' the game if you rent it... And hey, support the games you like!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/17/03