Review by funky1

"You wanna know what I think?"

I've known of the Harvest Moon series for a while now. I've read about them in Nintendo Power, and heard people saying how great the series is. So I finally decided maybe I'll try this game out. As soon as I started, I was stunned. It was nothing like I've ever played before. I was amazed that some one could take a concept, like farming, and make it into something so addictive!

Gameplay: 10/ 10
I know this may sound odd, but basically, you farm. It's a lot more fun than it may sound, trust me. If you've ever played a simulation game, such as Animal Crossing, for GameCube, it's almost similar, but minus the getting furniture for your house part, and with farming. In this game, you make money, farm, fish, mine, chop wood to expand your house, care for animals, get a girlfriend, even watch TV! There's just so much to do in this game, it's amazing.

Story:
I can't really rate the story, because, well... there is no real story, in my opinion. The game is just a simulation of farming and living. There are events in the game, but no story. You just do the stuff I listed above. Believe me, it's more fun than it sounds.

Graphics: 8/ 10
Now, this one's hard to judge, that's why it's only an 8. People are always using these technological terms on the kind of graphics the GBA can handle, and I don't understand a thing. I do know, though, that this game looks very beautiful. If you want a preview, then take a look at the screenshots. That's the only way you can decide on the graphics. But trust me, the graphics look great.

Sound: ?/ 10
Usually, I don't listen to the sound. There is no difference here. See, I like to conserve battery power, plus, I usually listen to music or TV when I play GBA, so it's not like I'd pay attention to the sound, anyway. However, there was one point in this game during an event when I did turn on the sound (I won't spoil it for you, though, even though it wasn't anything big), and from what I did hear, it was pretty good. I mean, obviously you're not gonna hear the kind of music as you would on a PS2/ GameCube/ X-Box game, but for what it can handle, the sound is quite nice.

Replay: 10/ 10
This game goes on forever. Got that? FOREVER. This game has a little timer (you're not timed, but the days are. Like five seconds in real time or ten minutes in Harvest Moon time. The game has months and years, too.), and you could play for 50 years, 100 years, whatever (I mean that in game time. Though, maybe you will be playing this 50 years from now, who knows?), and the game will still go on. I heard that there is some way to end it, but that may have been just rumor, but I'm kinda new, too.

Final Rating: 12/ 10
This game is just too good to get a 10/ 10. I mean, I've had this game since Christmas, and I've had to recharge my SP five times since then, just from playing Harvest Moon alone! I hope you make the right choice and buy this, because it's outstanding. You might want to rent it (although I recommend buying) because there are just some people that won't like this, and I don't want you to waste your money. However, this game is also pretty hard to find, so you may not be able to go out and buy it right away. Also, a GCN counterpart is coming out in January, and it can link up with this game. I suggest playing this one, first, especially to determine if you even want the GCN game. I know I do!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/30/03