Review by SaltydKraker

"You have won a million dollars! Screw that, I am playing Harvest Moon!"

Harvest Moon, probably the best simulation-type game I have ever played. This is a great game to add to your Harvest Moon collection. So let’s get this review started!

The game play is probably the best in any of the Harvest Moon games. It’s very easy to control since you are not slanted like the Back to Nature version. Once you get to play this game, you will be addicted for a while, because it is that damn fun. This is just a clone of Back to Nature, but with added stuff.
1) Added festivals
2) No Loading (A big thing)
3) Portable (A very big thing)
That pretty much wraps up the gameplay part.

The story is good, not great, not bad, but good. The story is about you going to an old man’s farm. You later find out that he is dead, and you take over the farm. You also see a girl and make friends with her. You find out that she is your (blank). I won’t get very detailed because that might conclude to spoilers. So you see the story isn’t a great story, but it isn’t bad. But oh well, at least this has a story, which makes the game more fun!

I was stunned when I first saw the graphics of this game. Not stunned as in that it sucked so badly that I didn’t even want to play. Stunned as in…The graphics are great! I have personally never have seen graphics better than this. The faces, surrounding items, artwork etc. are not blocky. You don’t really see those little squares that you usually see in PSX games. Personally, I think that the graphics of this game is much better than the graphics of the Back to Nature Version.

The sound is probably the worst part of this game. It hurts my ears to even listen to it. I usually just put in my own music, while I leave my Game Boy mute. The sound effects just annoy me. With the dog, chicken, scrubbing etc. The music for each season also annoys me. It repeats every damn day! Thank fully it changes every 30 days. But I have to wait another 30 days (game days) for another song to go on. So if you’re big in the music of a game, this is probably not the game to get. But check the other ratings; it covers up the sound part……ugh…

Repeatability/Play Time:9/10
This game ranks up at one of the longest Gameboy Advance game to play, next to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. This is probably the only GBA game that won’t end. The only time this game would end is probably when you actually get board of this game. I have been playing this game for actually 20 hours now, and I am not getting board of this game. The down side for this is that there is no end. It’s not really a big thing, but bad enough to minus 1 point. So if you are looking for a long, long, long, game to play for a handheld, get this! For an average gamer to get board of this type of game, I would expect 60-70 hours.

Buy/Rent
To buy or to rent, that is the question. If you are new to this genre type try and renting the game first. But if you have play simulation type games, and love them, you should buy this game. After all, you won’t be able to finish this game for 5 days! You might probably take a month to finish this if you play non-stop, not enough for a week rental. So buy this game now if you want to get a fantastic game!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/31/03