Review by Smash Bro

"Highly Tuned For Intense Speed"

Introduction

Need For Speed Underground for the GameBoy Advance delivers pure greatness. With PS2, GCN, XBX, and PC to compete with. This game barely falls short in any aspect.

Need For Speed Underground has some awesome gameplay. On your first race, the controls are easy to learn but on your first race, the steering may throw you off. After you do a couple races in the Quick Race option, you will probably want to do the Go Underground Option (details in Story Rating). The A Button accelerates, the B button uses brakes, the D-Pad steers your car, the L button uses Nitrous (NOS), and the R button uses the E-Brake. These are pretty basic controls, and easy to learn.

The story mode in Need For Speed Underground is titled ''Go Underground.'' In this mode, you must race your way to the top of the rankings. In the beginning there are 11 rankings, and you start in 11th place. The races are all circuit races. When you finish a race, you receive money and new parts for your car. You need to upgrade your car whenever you can so you can be prepared to take on challenged that lie before you. After you rank in 1st place, you will move to a tougher series of racing. This time there are 21 rankings and four different types of races. These contain: circuit, sprint, drag, and drift. After you make your way to the top, you are the king of the underground!

Need For Speed Underground happens to be the first fully 3-D game released for the GameBoy Advance. The graphics are amazing, and the cars look very realistic. The racing courses look very real. If graphics are what you look in for games, this game is for you.

''To the window, to wall...'' Oh, sorry, I was just listening to my GameBoy Advance play very good quality music. The sound in this game is too good to be true, but it is. There are four songs on this game, and you can actually understand the lyrics. Obviously, you can tell that ''Get Low'' by Lil' Jon and the Eastside Boys. Also, while racing the sounds that come from the car sound pretty realistic. Although, when you make a very sharp turn, the most annoying sound. But to me, that doesn't matter, the sound is still great.

Play Time and Replayability: 10/10

I love playing this game. And I've had it beaten for a while. Once beaten, all upgrades and cars are unlocked. Therefore, in Quick Race mode, you can customize a car for that race. This game will keep you busy for hours, after your first five races, you will get hooked!

Final Recommendation

This game is definitely worth $29.99. This game, in my opinion, is right up there with it's console (PS2, GCN, XBX) versions of the game. Need For Speed rules the underground!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/04