Review by ShenRyu

"Too easy, to say the least..."

Need For Speed Underground : GBA Port

This game was pretty good in comparison to the host of other GBA racing games, but sub-par for Electronic Arts. I've been following the Need for Speed series since the first game, and this GBA port is the most disappointing yet. EA's only real hope to clean up on the GBA people with an NFS game is their upcoming release of Need For Speed : Porsche Unleashed.

The graphics were stunning, even on the box-pictures. This is probably the most graphically advanced racing game for GBA, and all of the reviews seem to advertise the fact. The attention to detail on the actual cars and tracks are amazing.

It has many modes, many tracks, many cars, and many parts all to use in combination. There are 42 vinyls (decal sets) to choose from, each one artistic to the very detail. The game physics are surprisingly good... except in drift mode... But hey, its a game, its not a simulation. The drifting is particularily easy--gun it and steer it. Fun, nonetheless. Also--the controls are easy to master. But like I mention in the title, the game was a little too easy for me as I am a racing sim buff, so easy physics made for an easy game. I wrapped it in 3 hours.

The music selection is limited, but of good quality. I don't particularily like the 'Gangsta Rap' music, but EA made their decision. The game sounds themselves are actually really good with the exception of the lame shifting sounds...

Replayability: 3/10
Wow... Just wow... This is where the review crashes... Ka-POW! This really isn't what I have come to expect from Electronic arts. All you do is spend 3 hours on underground and thats it. They could've at least added a harder mode for underground to keep us occupied for a couple more hours. Sure, you can still race afterwards, but only single races and only in quick race. It just isn't fun. Like a turbocharger, a multiplayer mode would have boosted this by portion of the review by at least 3 or 4 points. Come to think of it, a multiplayer function would have made this a real winner of a game in terms of sales numbers.

It WAS a good play, while it lasted, but it lost its fun factor after a couple hours of play. All-in-all a decent game. Above average, considering all of those get-rich-quick releases, but sub-par for Electronic Arts. My favourite part is making a 'sleeper' car as we call it in the car world, engine mods up the yin-yang with no body mods whatsoever.
If you REALLY want this game, go rent it, dont buy it. You'll have fun during the rental period, I assure you. If you buy it, you'll be bored after a week at the most.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/01/04