Review by APF

"An easy yet fun racer."

This is my first ever review to Gamefaqs. Need For Speed: Underground is EA's first Need For Speed game to ever hit the Game Boy Advance. And it hit HARD. And I mean that in a good way.

Plot: N/A
You start off as an unknown street racer striving to be the best street racer in the underground. That's pretty much all of the plot there.

The graphics could of been a bit better. I know it's hard for a full 3-D game on the GBA due to hardware limitations but just a little bit of improvement would have been nice. The layout design needs some improvement too. Every track looks really similar. Not to mention there are some turns you won't be able to see and you might crash if you don't see it in time and lose some time.

Ehh..the sound..the music in this game has only 4 songs. Just 4. But I don't really mind the music. But, what I DO mind is that horrible screeching sound every time I try to turn. It's really irritating.

Controls: 10/10
The controls are superb. NFSU offers three transmission controls: Auto, Basic Manual, and Advanced Manual.

It's just like any other racing game:
A is to accelerate, B is to break, L shifts the gears down (Manual) or uses Nitrous Oxide (Auto), or Nitro, and R shifts the gears up (Manual) or uses the handbrake. Pressing Select will look behind you, but I don't see how a real street racer needs to look behind him when all he needs to focus on is the road. :P

Left and right are obviously to steer and up and down is only used in Manual Transmission (Nitro and handbrake, respectively).

Replay Value: 10/10
Once you unlocked everything in the game, from cars to parts, there still are a lot more races to become the best of the best. So this will keep you busy a couple of more hours or until you get bored, which I don't think that will happen unless repetitive racing is not something that fits you.

Overall

Plot: N/A
Controls: 10/10
Replay Value: 10/10

This game is one of the best in its genre. Renting or buying is your call, but I think this game is worthy of your 30 bucks.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/15/04