Review by Kung Fu Tiger

"Mario and Luigi strike back!"

Mario RPG's have always been one of my favorite games. This one was no different. Combining elements of ''Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars'' and ''Paper Mario'' Nintendo struck another masterpiece.

This was the most original story I've seen in a LONG time. As quoted from the Nintendo web site.... ''An evil witch has stolen Princess Peach's voice, replacing her fair speech with explosives! As chaos breaks out in the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario and Luigi head for the castle and meet up with Bowser, who just arrived to kidnap the princess. When they find out what happened, these sworn enemies join forces and follow the witch to a neighboring kingdom. After an aerial ambush crashes their ship and sends Bowser to who-knows-where, Mario and Luigi embark on foot, learning new moves and combining their brotherly might to fight off enemies, as they venture toward the kingdom's castle.'' However... The story is a bit young for my taste.

The areas in the game are very lush and colour filled. The sprites are done very well, You can see a lot of detail in the characters. The frame rate runs nice in smooth so that you will never have to experience laggy effects.

They took SM:RPG and Paper Mario and combined them to make a completely different game!? The bosses in this game are often too easy... While other bosses might be too difficult if you didn't level yourself up earlier. The controls are a little difficult to navigate early in the game, while later you get more moves it gets increasingly difficult to control. During battle you can do ''Bros. Attacks'' of which combine Mario and Luigi's attacks for added damage, and are pretty fun to do as well! Compared to SM:RPG and Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi has the most mini games. With all sorts of side quest mini games and main quest mini games you'll find lots of your time just playing them. During battle the new Dodge system may seem a bit strange, but eventually you will be able to dodge almost every attack!If you use the ''Nintendo Gamecube: Gameboy Player'' you will be able to find new items hidden in the world.

Sound/Music: 10/10
Sound:
With fresh new voice samples from Mario and the whole cast, you will find yourself amazed that you could stand the voice samples from other Mario games. The attack sounds are very crisp and clear and easy to distinguish from other attacks.

Music:
The music in Mario RPG's have always amazed me somehow... This one is no different! I've always liked the battle songs and they give a nice fresh beat this time as well. All the areas music is very nice and matches the scene very well.

Length/Difficulty: 8/10
Mario RPG's have never been very long nor have they been hard. They kept the same way with this game and I really have no complaints about it.With all the time I've spent just wandering around in this game I've racked up quite a few hours of gameplay... The bosses seem difficult until you learn how to dodge each of their attacks... Once you master dodging that bosses attacks you will be able to beat them very fast... However some of the puzzles/mini games in the game are quite difficult to beat. And being a 15 hour game to beat... That's really not that bad!

And that comes down to the conclusion...

Pros
Quality Mario game
Original story
Great Graphics
Highly fun and addicting
Good sound and music
Nice battle system

Cons
Hard to master controls
A little too easy

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone that has been a fan of Mario RPG's, or even if you've never played a Mario RPG!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/18/03