Review by Caly

"Mario and Luigi: Not as good as they say"

I, like everyone else, grew up with Mario games. I would always go over to my friend's house and play Super Mario Bros. 3, 2, and the original (with Duck Hunt..Mmmmm, Duck Hunt..)..I enjoyed those games. Then when I was 7 or 8, I got my Super Nintendo, along with Super Mario World. I was obsessed with that game...It was a good game. When I was 9. I played SuperMarioRPG, and though I enjoyed that, I found it to be a bit kiddy...But it was still serious enough to be fun for me.

Super Mario 64 was ok, a great platformer, but still really kiddy for my age. I'm not going to knock a game because I'm too old to appreciate it. That game really made me lose interest in the Mario series, I never played another recent game after that.

When Mario and Luigi came out, I thought ''Hmm, RPG elements, this might be good''. Famous last words.

It's not that it's a terrible game; I would be lying if I said it was. I'll explain in depth here...

Story 6/10

The story is okay, but it's my major problem with this game. It's very kiddy, with a stupid immaturity to it rather than a clever immaturity that you might find funny. There's your odd good line, but for the most part the dialogue is ridiculous, and as funny as a fart joke. Hey, if you like fart jokes, great. I'm talking bad fart jokes, like in Master of Disguise. The cameos from other games is a great addition, and their only acknowledgement that the original gamers have grown up, and will recognize these things. The game would have been much better if it was clever, referring to past games in ways that the now older gamers would respond to.

Basically what I'm saying is although Mario isn't a very mature series to begin with, it still has to mature with it's main fans, while attracting new ones. The same little-kid fart-joke antics just don't cut it anymore. Does that make sense? I hope so.

Graphics 7/10

This game has a very strange mix of well done character graphics, and little-boy-ate-a-can-of-paint-and-puked backgrounds. The character animations are done very well, but I just don't enjoy the backgrounds and surroundings at all.

Sound 10/10

The sound is this game is great, that's all there is too it. Classic Mario sounds (jumping, etc.), along with remixed themes (cave theme).

Gameplay 6/10

This game uses the ''press A at the right time'' scheme that Mario RPG used, and uses it semi-successfully. Using things like the hammer can be annoying at times however.

The game actually gets QUITE challenging at times, which drastically contrasts it's little kid story...Something I found just didn't mesh at all. I'm not saying it's bad, just that 8 year olds won't be able to get very far.

Mini-games abound, most of which cause me to go ''OH MY ****ING GOD I DON'T CARE JUST LET ME GET ON WITH THIS GAME''

That, coupled with clunky out of battle controls, makeh me dislika the gameplay mucho.

Replay Value 5/10

This game is stupidly short, but does have some replay value if you're in to getting everything...Which you won't do on the first run through. Mostly I just wouldn't pain my way through it again.

Worth playing if you're a Mario fan, and it's nice to see Luigi back, but overall the game is just too clunky. The difficulty of the gameplay combined with the childish story just don't do it for me. Like I said, if you're a die-hard Mario fan, pick this game up...

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 11/24/03