Review by hyper_squirrel

"Quite frankly, it's not a very good game...but it's much more addictive than you'd think"

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards...I'll be honest. The game itself is not good. It's greatly flawed and very forgettable. But there's an odd charm to it that keeps making me come back.

Graphics-8/10

The graphics aren't bad for a 2003 Gameboy Advance game. The card graphics are quite nice and the main overhead view when walking is easy on the eyes. The only complaints I have are with the graphics while dueling, the cards themselves are squished and blurry.

Sound- 7/10

The sound and music are fine, if a little forgettable. However, I will say they fall in the (slightly) above average category, and I don't have any complaints. Some of the background music is actually pretty catchy.

Gameplay - 8/10

You go around, and duel. Then you go around and duel some more. Then you buy some cards, rearrange your deck, and duel. It's repetitive but fun. However, dueling has been stripped down completely and the elemental advantages/disadvantages are, quite frankly, crap. A lightning based monster, for example, will automatically destroy a water based monster. Kuriboh should not be able to wipe out the Blue Eyes White Dragon. It's just WRONG.

Also annoying is the loss of flip effects, the ability to control when a trap is activated, and other essential rules to Duel Monsters. If you have a Trap Hole on the field, it's activated when your opponent plays a monster with 1000 attack whether you want it to or not. Many monster effects have been changed or lost entirely. It's still fun, but not as fun as before.

Story - 4/10

You're joking, right? There is a pitiful attempt at a story in this game, but it never actually goes anywhere. You're a random boy who's friends with Yugi and his friends. You attend the Battle City Tournament in a very loose retelling of that particular story arc while meeting up with other characters in the show. It's a pretty bad story, to say the least, but anyone who has watched the show, presently or in the past, will have at least a small sense of nostalgia. This, and because there actually is an attempt at a plot, is the only reason I scored four points to the game's 'story'.

Raw Average - 6.75/10

Technically, this should be rounded up to a 7. However, I don't really feel that this game deserves it. It's fun, but it's flaws ultimately hold it back.

Final Average - 6/10

Buy or Rent?

Rent, absolutely.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 07/22/08

Game Release: Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards (US, 11/04/03)