Review by SomaCruz

"What the hell is this?"

I was playing this game (Japanese, of course) to look for a good Yu-Gi-Oh game, complete with a storyline of sorts. I was highly dissapointed in this game.

The graphics are quite nice, I have to admit. But, the small versions of your cards (in your hand) are completely deformed. I could barely figure out what each card was, and ended up playing the wrong monster!

Sound/Music: 4/10
Egh. The music and sounds in this game were, in a word; ugly. The sound effects are highly annoying, some of them are just basic screechs and beeps, which are hard on your ears. The music is repetitive, and some of the duel music wasn't fit for dueling, in my opinion. Others were good, but nothing especcially good. In some areas of the game, there was original Japanese voice acting; by the original actors! That stopped this from getting a 2.

Gameplay (death for this game): 1/10
The gameplay was highly mangled. It was fast, but the duels were either way too easy or way, way too difficult. Plus, many of the card effects were dis-included. Last Warrior From Another Planet is a normal monster in the game, but a Fusion/Effect monster in actual card form. Half of the game was running around, trying to find out what you had to do and figuring out you had to duel about 5 people to get to the one you wanted to duel; who was basically impossible to beat! Seriously, this is what killed this game in my opinion. Also, since it was in Japanese, figuring out menu options was hard. This means customizing things was quite difficult.

Storyline: 4/10
This recieves a big fat 4 because I can't read Japanese. Whoo. All I know is it is modeled after the Battle City tournament storyline, which is quite good. But, Battle City's story is nowhere as good as Noa's Ark (shuts up to keep spoilers in).

Replay Value: Obviously high
This would be the icing on the cake, instead it's just the batter! Why? Because the gameplay is so mangled, playing such a crappy game again would be totally pointless. Of course, if the cards actually worked the way the did, this would be better.

Well, this has to be the worst Yu-Gi-Oh game next to Dark Duel Stories and Forbidden Memories. If you want a good game, play World Wide Edition and don't import this horrible game, if you've planned on doing so.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 04/28/03, Updated 04/28/03