Question from empressdee

How do I solve Altering cave?

I noticed that Altering cave on outcast Island has only Zubat. Is there a secret to why that is? Is the way to beating altering cave similar to how you beat that Ruin Maniac cave on Pearl/Diamond/Platinum by catching as many unowns as possible?

ShinyFeraligatr answered:

SmokeRulz, that article is wrong. Mystery gift WASN'T what made altering cave work. (And yes, I know what Mystery gift is). It was the E-Reader. If Nintendo says that it would have been E-Reader if it worked in american FR/LG, then you'd figure that they are correct. After all, they made the game.
2 0

Answers

SmokeRulz answered:

There is nothing to "solve" there. The cave will only have Zubat, unless you use Mystery Gift with people. Using Mystery Gift with other players, or at Nintendo Events (which are likely not held for Gen3 anymore) unlocked some special, if minor Pokemon in the cave. They are: Mareep, Aipom, Pineco, Shuckle, Teddiursa, Houndour, Stantler, and Smeargle.

I'm not sure if they can be found anywhere else in FR/LG, however they can all be nabbed in Emerald at the Safari Zone (except Smeargle, which is at Artisan Cave at the Battle Frontier in Emerald).
0 2

empressdee answered:

So basically, what you are saying that if I have natural gift and other people playing too, that all that will happen is that some rare pokemon will appear, right?
0 1

RaikouTGC answered:

Smoke Rulz is wrong about how the Cave works.

You need to use special e-Reader Cards to change the Pokemon he mentioned. e-Reader functionality was removed from all versions of FR/LG/Em released outside of Japan.
2 1

SmokeRulz answered:

No, I'm correct. It's Mystery Gift. It might have been eReader cards in Japan, but like you said, they took that out for other releases. Bulbapedia even states that it's Mystery Gift and lists the Pokemon:

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Altering_Cave

Also, empressdee, I said MYSTERY Gift. Not Natural Gift. Mystery Gift is a functionality within the game, which needs a link cable or a wireless adapter. However, it appears I made a mistake about it being usable with other players; in Generation 3, it appears that it's only for use at Nintendo Events:

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mystery_Gift#Generation_III

I only ever used the Mystery Gift of Gen2, which involved other people, so that's where my confusion came from. That's pretty damn lame. Unless some places still have a service that will let you use the Mystery Gift feature in the GBA games, then I don't think you'll be able to alter the Pokemon in Altering Cave, sans a cheat device.
0 3

SmokeRulz answered:

Damn, really? How the hell can the article have been wrong for this long and no one has corrected it yet? What a bunch of crap.

Also, does that mean there is no legit way to alter the Altering Cave in the American release of the games? Which game developer thought this was a good idea?
0 0

What do you do in altering cave? Answered vladic1212
What does altering cave and pattern bush have? Answered 941Blaze
How do u get through the ice cave? Open puppylover46
What is the Altered Cave for? Answered The_Red_Gyrados
Where's Trnsformation cave? Answered TehJello