Review by Kattykitkat

"Despite a few flaws in design; 'Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories' manages to be quite a fun game"

So, before the second Kingdom Hearts playstation game was released I decided to pick this up and fill myself in on the story. And boy, I'm glad I did. This game was not only enjoyable; it also lives up to the Kingdom Hearts name very well.

Gameplay- 7/10

While not my favourite aspect of this game, the gameplay was still relatively fun. Rather than the usual button-mashing keyblade-weilding nonstop-hitting battles we're all so used to in the original Kingdom Hearts game, this game incorporates a 'card-based' attack system.

Basically; you collect cards throughout the game and use them to attack your enemies. The higher your card number, the greater damage you will do, so it's a good idea to regularly make sure your card numbers are as high as possible.

One of my favourite parts of the gameplay, however, and the reason I gave it a 7, is the ability to play Riku's story once completing the original story as Sora. I thought this was a BRILLIANT feature as you never really get to play anyone else in the playstation games (with the exception of Roxas at the beginning of the second game) and I really enjoyed playing through Riku's story.

Story- 8/10

While the story often confused me and was slightly unbelievable (in my opinion- I mean, making Sora forget everything? Really?) I still found it quite engaging and fun to follow, especially with the introduction of the organisation members.

Graphics- 10/10

Ahh, my favourite part of this game. The graphics in this are beautiful, especially for a GBA game. The video clips are beautifully rendered even though they had to be condensed to GBA size. The sprites are beautifully designed and it's a thrill to see every heartless and character. Certainly a winning aspect of this game.

Sound- 9/10

I thought the sound was matched quite well to the original Kingdom Hearts game, the music was all catchy and the sound effects are quite fun to listen to, although I did find that hearing Riku shout his battle cry every time he hit an enemy became annoying after a while.

Replayability- 8/10

While this hasn't got as much play-time as my playstation kingdom hearts games, I still think it is fun enough to deserve at least one or more playthroughs.

Overall- 8/10

Kingdom Hearts; Chain Of Memories was a very fun GBA game for me, I thoroughly enjoyed playing it and it's one of my favourite games for the console. Definately worth a buy!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/14/09

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (US, 12/07/04)