Review by RoboFFL2

"A little skill and a lot of luck."

The popular game Kingdom Hearts is getting a long awaited sequel very soon. But to keep the fans still with the wonderful story that showed us the Keyblade hero Sora the Square-Enix company has made a sort of Kingdom Hearts expansion pack called Kingdom Hearts: Chain Of Memories. Will this keep the fan of the original wanting more? Read on to find out.

This is the key factory that kept me hooked on the first game. I couldn't put it down for weeks. I loved every thing about the story from the characters to the plot twists. The real question is does the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories live up to the first? I believe so. You start off right where the last one left you. You are in a field with your friends Donald and Goofy, then suddenly you are confronted by a a mysterious figure dressed in black. Who is he? What does he want? You'll have to play the game to find out. There are as many twist in this one as in the first and as many characters.

Characters: 10/10
Everyone that was in the first is in this plus more. You have a new friend that you didn't find out about in the first one. She has a mysterious story that you find out about more the farther you get in the game. You have the group called the Organization, which are the people dressed in all black. They look pretty cool. The characters are very detailed.

Seriously I don't know how Gamespot could have ever given this game a 7/10 on graphics. I have never seen a game on the Game Boy look this well done. They even have cut scenes. The game opens with one, and my jaw dropped. I didn't even know they could do this one the Game Boy. The characters are well designed and everything just looks awesome. The spells look cool as well.

Sounds: 10/10
The old music from the first put onto this. Nothing else to say.

This is what brought the game down in my opinion. This includes the length of the game, the controls, the overall game itself. The game simply put is all luck and little skill. It really all depends or the luck of the draw. Your cards are everything in this game. All you need is a few good ones and your unbeatable. I haven't died once in the game nor come even close. The difficulty is just simply not there during the battles. The hardest thing about this is getting the cards you need to get to the next room. At first going through the floors in a breeze but when you get to about the 8th or 9th level, it becomes insane. You will have to find specific cards to open the doors. Let me explain what I mean about cards and doors. You go through the level by rooms. Rooms can contain from 2-4 doors. Each door requires a card(s) to open. The first levels is mainly you need a card with the number 1 or higher. These cards are easy to get. Now on level 9 or so you will need like a card that has the number 5 and has to be a green card. Some doors require multiple cards to open because the number will be like 30. There are certain doors that you can open with only 1 card, it is a "gold" card. This card along with around 20 points of cards will open to something nice. I have gotten only one gold card(about 10 minutes ago), but I haven't been able to use it yet because I spent 1 hour looking for a green card with the number 9 on it. I mean seriously, this is the type of thing that adds time to your final time for the entire thing. Look for cards = 90% of the time of the game, 9% Story, .5% accidentally running into a monster, and .5% leveling.
The is alright for the most part though I just wish it was a little bit less harder on that aspect and harder fights. Really all you need is a couple of 9 attack cards, and a cure card and your set.

It should really round to a 10/10 but the gameplay factor just weighs so heavy on the game I couldn't find myself to give it a 10. Never the less it is truly one of the greatest games I have ever played on the GBA. Good Job Square-Enix on this master piece. =D

Buy or Rent? It is a buy for sure.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/13/04