Review by X Ven0m X

"There are alot of great GBA games out there... and this is one of em!"

Ok, I'm a Kingdom Hearts Fanboy. The series is amazing! Disney and Square, who would have thought it would make a amazing combination?! OK, this game is simply AMAZING. So lets get on to the review. But let's get things straight, THIS IS NOT A RE-MAKE OF KINGDOM HEARTS FOR THE PS2! It's a continuation. Alright here's my review of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

Story = 4/5

The story is something to pay attention about. It's kinda easy to get into, but if you don't pay attention to the cutscenes then you'll get confused and be all wacko. OK so I'll try my best NOT to spoil much. Sora, Goofy, and Donald are traveling through the endless fields that was in Kingdom Hearts. While resting, a mysterious man appears. He says "Ahead lies something you need, but to claim it, you must lose something dear." Then he vanishes, he leaves behind a path ... the path to Castle Oblivion. And thats where the whole game takes place. The story has it's twists and turns. So that helps you get into the story more.

But one more thing, if you really wanna know the whole story, you HAVE to play Kingdom Hearts for the PS2. Chain of Memories take place IMMEDIATELY after Kingdom Hearts. Chain of Memories also sets the stage for Kingdom Hearts 2.

Gameplay = 4/5

All I can say is... Unique and Fantastic. The card battle system is fairly easy to learn. Cause you see, cards rule all in Castle Oblivion. Here's how the battle system is like. On the field, if you come in contact with a heartless, you go into battle. You have a deck of cards to use in battle, which can be used in many ways to fight. You can combine them to activate battle abilities, you can use the cards themselves, and you kinda have to strategize. Cause the each card has value, 0-9, when you and your opponent use a card at the same time, the card with the higher value wins. They way you set up your cards in the menu is they way they appear in battle. So so more strategy there.

Most of the game is running out room to room. When you reach a room with a keyhole on top that means you have reached a story room. When you enter a story room a certain cutscene takes place telling a story about that particular world. It can get repetitive though. In the field there doors. And to open the door you must fulfill certain criteria, which vary from door to door. This is called "Room Synthesis". Like in battle, you use cards to open the door. Each card has it's own effect. One card can summon many heartless into the room, while another card can provide assistance in battle.

But overall, the gameplay is just a blast and is easy to catch on.

Audio = 3/5

The sound isn't mind-blowing, but it works! Sora says stuff when he attacks, and the music is from the Disney worlds. When you hit something or run it makes a sound so.. yeah! But when you think about it the sound IS great. Does any other GBA game do this? The Disney music is great. Nice job Square! They also have the "Simple and Clean" song in the game (the song from the commercial) so if you want to listen to it, it's there.

Graphics = 5/5

Oh... sweet.... dancing.... Jesus... 3D cutscenes, great in-game graphics, it's all here. Even the text is beautiful. Now that's amazing. You just have to see it to believe it. Trust me, amazing stuff. Everything was done with detail and perfection. The animations are well done too! I only have ONE complaint. In battle, when you do a 3 hit combo, on the third hit it zooms in so it kinda hurt my eyes. But that's just me so...

Replay = 5/5

Not only does the game last sorta long, but when you beat the game (as it says in the manual) you can play as a different character and play through as his story. This is called "Reverse Rebirth" mode. You'll unlock this after you beat the game as Sora. What's cool is that the gameplay is not the same as Sora's. So you'll have to use different strategies to go through the game. There are different leveling up choices too.

Story = 4/5
Gameplay = 4/5
Audio = 3/5
Graphics = 5/5
Replay = 5/5

Final Words: This is an AMAZING game, I think this game fits into anybody's collection. With plenty of stuff to please. Link battle, extra replay, it's all good. But if you don't like this game, go to the message boards or just give the game a chance. Chain of Memories is an incredible game. I very strongly recommend it. GO GET IT!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/21/04, Updated 01/25/05