Review by AsssMonkeee

"OH NO!!! Not American Idol! Wait... its... fun..."

Don't let your friends see you playing, but this game is incredibly fun.

As you may be able to deduce from the title of this game, it is based on American Idol. If you are unfamiliar with the show then you must be living in a bucket, under a rock, at the bottom of the ocean.

Gameplay 9/10
If you have played Brittany's Dance Beat on Ps2 (or just played it on the Official Playstation Magazine demo disk that came with magazine) then you'll be familiar with how it works. There is a large circle that has an indicator that slides around. Placed on the circle are (A)'s and (B)'s when the indicator goes over the button, you press the button. If there is a (A) with a green line stretching to the next (A) you hold it. Pretty simple stuff. Until it speeds up. You can choose from rehearsal, competition, and endurance modes. In Rehearsal you can choose from any of the songs you have unlocked and jam it out. Endurance cycles through the songs until your average is too low to continue. But the Competition mode is the most fun. You create an Idol from a decent array of options, You can change hair, skin tone, male or female, clothing type, upper clothing color, and lower color. Then you play and advance through the competition.

Sound 8/10
Ok, first off, all the music titles in this game are pop. That may be good for some of you, not for me. I hate most of the songs. But, its American Idol so we get pop. BUT!, that isn't why it got an 8. This game has full voice for every song. Not only that, if you miss a button or two, your characters voice will waver and crack a bit.

Graphics 9/10
This game is 3d, well, the singers are. The backgrounds are flat, and a bit blurry, but just a bit. Your singer dances to the beat of the music quite well, and the menus are nice and clean. Overall it looks really good based on the limitations of the Gameboy Advance hardware. The judges look kind of 3d/Cell shaded.

Replay Value 8/10
I played this game at first just to see how horrible a game really could be. But I was pleasantly surprised. It plays well and is fun to play through multiple times to hear all the songs (And to just to hear a guy sing 'Like a Virgin' by Madonna. You can unlock different outfits and songs by being the Idol multiple times.

Overall 9/10
I really like this game and play it regularly. I recommend this to anyone. Just dont' play around your friends!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/05/03