Review by enacting

"Say what you will. American Idol rules."

... or at least, the game for the GBA. Frankly speaking, this is one of the simplest yet most addictive game I have ever played. The game concept is easy - you will not even need a glance at the manual. After grabbing this game off the shelf, you'll find yourself awfully addicted within a few seconds.

Gameplay - 8

You got to love this. The game is easy enough; all you need to do is to push the corresponding buttons according to when they flash up. Do it correctly and you'll be singing brilliantly. Mess it up and be prepared for a few good laughs as your song turns off-tune and awfully funny. A bonus is that the judges from the American Idol TV show will be in the game as well, so be prepared for some familiar criticism. You get to dress your character up, and your dress style would be judged along with the public's vote after every song. Included also is an ''Endurance'' mode, where you sing all of the songs in the game in their correct keys back to back, winning enough votes for yourself to proceed to the next stage.

Graphics - 7.5

A great effort, I must say. Though not entirely spectacular, you don't see ''blocks'' sticking out of your character usually, and your character actually dances to the song! Apart from minor flaws (like how sometimes your character doesn't mouth-sync the song correctly), the graphics is actually commendable.

Sound - 9

Not surprisingly, the sound is the best aspect of the game. You have lots of songs to sing from (mostly pop), and after replaying the game several times I still find the songs interesting. One flaw is that when the judges comment, sometimes their speech sounds ''patched'' and unclear. However, during your singing (whether good or bad), the song sounds as clear as crystal.

Replay Value - 8.5

Expect lots of replay value from American Idol. You can play this over and over, but not get tired of it, simply because there's no storyline over here. You can choose to sing the songs well and win American Idol time and time again, or mess all the songs up just for the fun of it.

Overall - 8/10

Whether you like American Idol on the TV or not, American Idol on the GBA is awesome. It has a high replay value and you'll find yourself easily addicted in no time at all. This is one of the best games of 2003, and after a couple of months I still find myself drawn to the game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/07/04