Review by Megaman1981

"It's a me, Mario!"

The original Super Mario Bros. saved the video game industry. That awesome Grand Theft Auto game that you are playing right now wouldn't even exist if Super Mario Bros. hadn't been created. After the video game market crashed in the mid 1980's, it was in fact Super Mario Bros. that helped revive the video game industry. It's safe to say that Mario is the most popular video game mascot in history. Since then, Mario has gone on to star in many adventures. He's even played a damsel in distress (Luigi's Mansion), a doctor (Dr. Mario), and a villain (Donkey Kong Jr.), but his classic adventures involving Bowser are the best. Now Nintendo has decided to re-release a lot of their original games from the NES for the Classic NES Series on the GBA. I am very happy to say that Super Mario Bros. is one of them.

Super Mario Bros. is clearly the game that launched Mario's career. The same can be said for Nintendo as well. The basic premise to Super Mario Bros. is to save the Mushroom Kingdom from Bowser. Bowser has kidnapped Princess Peach Toadstool, and has invaded the Mushroom Kingdom turning its citizens into his evil creatures and statues. The basic idea is to get from point A to point B. That consists of guiding Mario from the beginning of the stage, to the flag at the end of it. Every fourth stage has Bowser as a boss. Most enemies Mario can jump on to defeat them. Some however, can't be jumped on, such as a Spiny. However, if you grab a mushroom then Mario will grow bigger. Grab a flower, and Mario will be able to shoot fireballs. A star will make Mario invincible.

Graphically Super Mario Bros. was way ahead of it's time when it first came out. Although the backgrounds and characters are simple they have nice detail. I'm pleased to say that this port to the GBA is perfect, and looks just like the original. The music in Super Mario Bros. is great. Although there is only four songs in the game; the overworld theme, dungeon theme, ocean theme, and castle theme are all fantastic. Although it has only four songs, this games music is set the standard for video game music.

Sadly, there isn't that much replay value in this game. There are no secrets to unlock, but there are several warp pipes scattered in the game, so maybe taking a different route will offer some replay value. I must say that this game is one of the hardest Mario games that I have ever played, but it's a true classic.

In all, this is the game that made gamers buy the original NES. This game was a system seller. Now gamers can all enjoy it on the GBA. I'm very happy that this game out on the GBA because I hated playing this game on Animal Crossing (it took too long to boot up). The fact that a save feature has been added to save your score, only enhances the experience. In conclusion, every gamer should by this game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/19/05