Review by Robazoid

"No collection should lack Super Mario Brothers, this is a great game."

Super Mario Brothers first came out for the NES, and it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System, and created a great series that still makes quality games today. Once the NES Classics were announced, it should have been no surprise Super Mario Brothers was in it, because it would be equal to insanity not to include it. It is an Above Average (8/10) game, for many reasons. It even has a few things the original didn't, such as the obvious easy portability. Most of the game remains the same; a more in-depth look in the game is below.

Game Play- 8/10
The controls are almost exactly the same as on the NES, but they added a new menu, accessed by pressing both L and R. Some of the options within that menu are Save High Score and Sleep mode (which puts your GBA into sleep mode, a handy device if you need to set it down for a little while and your worried about your batteries). Two player mode (where you trade off between Mario and Luigi) is still intact, which is a plus. The basic Game Play for Super Mario Brothers is, run, jump on enemy, jump over obstacle, jump and get mushroom, jump across hole, and so forth. It's pretty simple, but when it first came out, it was totally original. It's nothing by today's standards, but these are NES classics, so rating them by comparing with other GBA games wouldn't really be fair. To put this paragraph into a small recap, the game plays exactly like the original game, with a few small added things.

Story- 6/10
Back when this was made, it was hard to include a story. There is one though, however small it may be. Many people would say that even having a space for Story in a NES classic is wrong, but I felt the need to include one. The story is pretty much, a princess got kidnapped, and Mario must now go and rescue her. It's like I said, its pretty small. Still, no one should be buying this game for the epic story.

Music- 8/10
The classic Mario theme is included in the game, and even though the music quality is a little out-dated, I still love to listen to the music. None of the sounds every really get boring or annoying, but still, you wouldn't miss much by keeping the sound low, and you would save battery life.

Graphics- 10/10
What's this? NES Graphics getting a 10/10? Like I said before, this is comparing it to both the original game and the games the original had to compete with. They were very good then, and even now, they shouldn't hurt anyone's eyes or be horribly hated. This is a NES Classic, a game for old fans, collectors, old school lovers or new people that don't mind the occasional thing that would be frowned upon by today's standards.

Replay Value- 8/10
Only some people will want to replay this game, whether it is from boredom, to see a level you missed before, or trying to get a higher score. This game has quite a high score for Replay Value, I myself played through it three times before finally stopping and playing my other games. Overall, even 3 times through the game shouldn't take very long though, unless you're like many people and only play through a few levels and either die or get bored.

End of Review Recap
Easily, my favorite of all the NES classics I own. I highly recommend it to anyone who is reading this, no one should regret it.
Overall- 8/10
Game Play- 8/10