Review by RMPNGx

"A port of The Legend of Zelda-- nothing more."

Way back when during the time when the NES was a household standard, many people discovered the game that is The Legend of Zelda. Even if one didn't realize that Link was the main character's name, not Zelda, one would still have fun, and consider this to be one of the greatest NES games. Now, it has moved onto a GBA cartridge, ready to be played wherever.

Because this is a port of the original game, I am going to rate the game itself, not the quality of the port. Even if you are buying this out of nostalgia, I'm sure there are some who are interested in the game itself-- those who never had the pleasure to experience this time-withstanding game.

Gameplay-10 out of 10

This game played great way back when, and it still holds its charm today. You navigate a large map in order to find dungeons. When you finally find one, you enter it and tread through the puzzles and monsters it has held inside. You battle a boss, require an item, and move on to the next dungeon. A repetitive, yet fun formula that should keep most entertained.

One thing that makes the gameplay for this game interesting is the weapons you have to chose from. Your artillery can range from a simple candle to a bomb, and they can all be used to battle your foes. On the line of the enemies, most of them are fairly easy to beat, but expect for only a few hits to knock you out cold. The boss fights vary in difficulty, but they are still satisfying to duel-- especially when you obtain a piece of the triforce after slaying it.

Story-10 out of 10

You are Link, and you need to rescue princess Zelda from Ganon. No more needs to be said, other than that stories really weren't drawn out back in the NES era.

Graphics-9 out of 10

They, for the most part, are the exact same as their NES counterpart's graphics. My only issue is the mild slowdown that can occur when many enemies or on the screen, or if a few of them are attacking. I understand Nintendo's ideology of having a perfect port, but slowdown in a game isn't really a factor I incorporate when I think back to the older days.

Music/Sound-9 out of 10

The music in this game isn't too varied, but it still holds up today, and sounds rather good. You will be stuck with the overworld theme and the dungeon theme for almost all of your time, so here's hoping that you enjoy them. The sounds don't vary too much, but the everlasting sound of Link's sword cutting through the air should bring back memories for some.

Play Time/Replayability-9 out of 10

If it's your first time to delve into this game, then your playtime should be anywhere from 10-20 hours. If you've already played it, then it all is up to how well you remember the map and dungeons. The extra mode that the game has is tougher than the last, and it also increases the play time for the better.

Overall-9 out of 10

This is a great port of the original NES game, and it should be fun to most that have played it. I'd recommend it to anyone who is up for some interesting, enjoyable classic gaming. If you have never played this game before, I would walk into it with low expectations. Those who are raised on the newer eras of gaming won't have any nostalgia or emotion for this port-- one of the driving factors to buy it.

If there is one last thing I should say before I finish this review, it is that you shouldn't buy this game expecting to be blown away like when you first played it. Enjoy it for what it is, a great port of The Legend of Zelda.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/11/07