Review by Zodiac186

"Revisit the first incarnation of one of the greatest games ever!"

The Legend of Zelda was the first NES game I ever owned. Since I was about five years old when I got it, I didn't care about the story or finding certain objects to get across platforms and get heart containers or solving puzzles or finding weak spots on the bosses. All I cared about was running around and killing those things that shot stuff at you. I didn't know they were Octorks when I was five, nor did I care. They shot stuff at me, therefore, they had to be destroyed by my tiny, pixilated sword! Before I had time to appreciate the game, my parents sold my NES and all my games, but Nintendo has re-released The Legend of Zelda for the GBA as part of their 'Classic NES Series,' and it's one of the best $20 I've ever spent.

Zelda has become one of the most successful franchises ever, even though some people still don't know the elven kid in the green tunic is Link and NOT Zelda. There have been many incarnations on other Nintendo systems including the SNES, GBA, and Gamecube. Now, onto the review!

Just the music brought back so many nostalgic memories. Again, it's directly from the original and it can become repetitive, but it's LoZ!! The monsters dying cries, the shooting sword attack sounds, the speech sound, and even the fireballs Octorks shot are the originals. Again, it can become repetitive and even a tic boring, but it's old school NES!

Graphics got a 7 for a few reasons. The game is a faithful port of the original NES version, so of course the graphics are very dated, but it would've been nice to see them at least SLIGHTLY tweak the graphics. Maybe smooth some of the edges out or something! The other reason LoZ lost some graphic points is because there's a noticeable slowdown whenever there are many enemies on screen at once. If it was just once in a while, that's one thing, but it occurs often and becomes quite irksome.

Controls: 7/10

Okay, the controls were the one thing that really angered me. They felt clunky and cumbersome and sometimes they seemed delayed.

It's a port of one of the greatest games of all time. If you've never played it, buy it. If the last time you played it was when you were five, like me, buy it. It'll make you feel all nostalgic and it's just a great game. Hyrule's a big, wide, open world for you to explore! I even caught my dad fiddling around with my GBA to play LoZ. Despite it's few flaws, I HIGHLY recommend this game to everyone.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/29/04