Review by Daredevil3181

"Yes, we get the idea already, Nintendo, you can port games. Now how about actually cleaning them up a bit?"

The Legend of Zelda was a marvelous game in 1987. A true classic. It has even proven that it can stand the test of time. That being said, it is now 2004. And I regret to inform you that I have good news and bad news.

I'll start on a happier note before showering you with disappointment. The good news: this game is a straight port of the original Legend of Zelda. All the glitz and glamour that the title originally held is here to stay. Now for the bad news: this game is a straight port of the original Legend of Zelda.

Now don't get me wrong, this game still has the extraordinary gameplay that it has always held. In fact, being that it's an exact port, absolutely nothing has been changed. There is still the non-linear exploration, the Underworld dungeon battles, and the showdown with Ganon. Unfortunately, there is still the annoying lag and slowdown both in music and movement when there are too many enemies on the screen at once. You'd think that after 17 years they would be able to fix this problem. But despite the Game Boy Advance being a more powerful system than the Nintendo Entertainment System this is not the case. So you are doomed to move in almost comical slow motion in the heat of almost every major battle. Kudos to you, Nintendo.

So long as I know what's going on in a game, graphics usually never bother me. But I at least expected Nintendo to try and polish the visuals up slightly (akin to what they did to Super Mario Bros. 3 in Super Mario All-Stars and more recently what Square did with Final Fantasy Origins). Alas, nothing has changed from the way it was close to two decades ago. Those crazy game developers!

Moving on to sound, you can problem guess what my complaint is. Yep it's the lack of cleaning up as well. The Overworld theme is still one of the most memorable tunes in all of video game history. Still, midis and other sound effects are capable of being improved upon so as to sound less scratchy. Sadly, Nintendo neglected to give these a dose of Cloraseptic. Oh well, at least the sounds are still enjoyable to listen to at times.

If you have never played the original Legend of Zelda or want to relive the nostalgia in portable format, definitely get this. But if you were looking for any improvements whatsoever, you'll be sorely disappointed. Still, this game is a true classic and has difficulty to spare in spades. And when all else fails, remember this: Stab it...stab it until it's dead. And on that note I bid you adieu. Goodnight folks!

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/27/04