Review by KTRSFan

"A Legend reborn, and I can show it off anywhere now!"

First off, let me ask this: Why does the original version get a higher overall score than the portable version? It doesn't make any sense. Ah well, to the game.

In 1986, Nintendo was the new kid in town, already becoming a huge success with Super Mario Brothers, which still holds the record for the most sales. Shiguru Miyamoto then came up with a brilliant idea and so it became this game, The Legend of Zelda. An instant classic. Now Nintendo has ported the game to the GBA for the next generation of gamers to try, and for a kid who didn't get to play the original, I'm impressed.

I dunno why, but I LOVE classic graphics. There are small nuances, like Link's eyes changing color because you have a new ring, along with the merchant's tunics. At the end of the game, when you rescue Zelda (We'll get to that in a moment.) her dress color is determined by which ring you have, if any. Nintendo wanted everyone to enjoy the classic. Considering that I never played the original, some people will point out that I did not mention that some of the graphics were a bit "stretched" but keep in mind I don't have the original to compare it with.

Sound/Music: 10/10

What Zelda game fails at them? The sounds are incredible, and the music is almost perfect, although you only have six tunes to listen to. My personal favorite is when you wait long enough at the title screen, they'll begin relaying the bare bones of the story, with some excellent music in the background. The classic field music is here, along with two dungeon tunes (One is for the last level.) and a Game Over tune, plus ending music that can get your toes tapping. Sound is basic, but again, Nintendo wanted everyone to enjoy the original game in portable format. Simple sword swings have a "swoosh," the boss's roars can be heard for nearby rooms, and I also have to wonder: how the heck did they pull all this off with the small amount of memory they had back then?

Ah, nostalgia... Such bliss... This is the original overhead view, navigation is really easy, and saving is a snap now. Reason why I didn't give it a 10 is because of the small nuances that I constantly have problems with. There's a small one, starting with three hearts every time, but that's not my problem. My problem is that some enemies are incredibly cheap! Ah well, such is life. Gameplay overall: nearly perfect

Difficulty: 9/10

Heh, this is what always hooks me into games. 3D games fail to have such difficulty, so most modern gamers will steer clear of this game. However, you have to keep in mind, this is Zelda! Anyway, back to the game. There are many challenges to this game to make it harder (Like it needs it.) and one such challenge is the Swordless Questing. Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself. The game is a great challenge, finding everything in one go is almost impossible without an FAQ or a lot of spare time. The second quest only complicates it.

The old cliched "Save the princess!" story. However, this one has a twist. You have to rescue Princess Zelda, but there's a minor problem: her captor, Ganon, is invincible if you don't have the Triforce of Wisdom Zelda shattered to keep Ganon from obtaining it. So, you have to go around Hyrule, gather everything, then attack Ganon from there.

Replayability: 8/10

Nostalgia, how tough it is, nostalgia... ...What more do you want?

An incredible game. I love it!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/20/05