Review by Kisho

"Another Classic"

Once I found out that this game was out, I was jumping out of my skin. It is rather rare for me to miss a Legend of Zelda game release. So, when I got my hands on it, I began playing it instantly. I was really curious to what this was about, and it strays slightly from what I was expecting.

Storyline: 8/10 After playing a plethora of games from the Zelda series, I was somewhat expecting what was coming. It starts off where Link is invited by his long life friend, the Princess Zelda, to go to the yearly Picori Festival. The Smith entrusted link with the sword he had made for the prize of a contest. After arriving, enjoying the sights, and delivering the sword, the winner of the contest was announced. But, coincidentally, this is the villain, and he is in search of a "force"...

One thing I did notice about this is that it strayed away from the "Three Elements". Like in Ocarina of Time, you have the Kokiri Emerald, the Goron Ruby and the Zora Sapphire. Many of the games followed this, including A Link to the Past and The Wind Waker. I'm not quite sure if I was disappointed or excited about the change, but it was, indeed, a change.

Graphics: 9/10 The graphics seem to be based on the graphics of The Wind Waker. Very cute, yet the 2-D of it all makes it look not so cartoony. It is very well done. The sprites are all very clear, and the backgrounds are very nicely done. The colors are vibrant, and well chosen.

Sound: 9/10 A lot of familiar tunes appear in this game. The music is well, ya know, GBA worthy. It's not some orchestra inside there. But, for what there is, it was pulled off very well. The sound effects, such as the small single words or "grunts" people make sound very nice, as well. Every little bit helps.

Gameplay: 10/10 It was really nice to see the R button being used so well. R is the action button--Grab, Pull, Push, Speak, et cetera. The A and B buttons are for equipping items. Start opens the option menu, from which you'll be able to select items, see your progress, and look at the map. And of course, the D-Pad moves you around.

Replay Value: 8/10 As every Zelda game, it feels like a must to collect everything. If you don't get everything the first time through, you'll want to play it over get those last Pieces of Heart. Even after that, this is one of those games you can come back 6 months later and play it through again.

Rent, Buy, or Not Bother? Definitely a buy. Even though it isn't an extremely long game, this is one you'll want to keep.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/11/04