Review by Board 3

"Whoa, unexpectedly good"

I must admit I heard very little about this game, but what I did hear didn't really spark much interest. I found that this game was very under hyped, which in most cases is bad but for this game I personally find it nice.

Storyline: 8/10
Well, as with most other Zelda games, the storyline was pretty predictable at most times, but even with that it was pretty nice. I do enjoy how every story for a Zelda game always is fun and pretty different from the others, but always has some underlying connection. I do, however, bore from some of the more repeated story features that keep showing up, so I am happy to say this game tried to not abuse such things, and such. It did, however, make the villain known early, which I don't enjoy sometimes, but nonetheless it's a good story.

The graphics are, oddly enough, very nice. For a handheld system to have such an interesting change in graphics is amazing. I really enjoyed how the characters were done and the use of style of all sprites was very enjoyable. The environments didn't clash with the feel of the sprites which is hard to do in a 2-Dimensional game. Everything felt like it couldn't of been made any better, which is a very nice improvement for the Zelda games, for me, anyways.

As with a lot of Zelda games a lot of the sounds are reused, but at least redone. This is so with this game, and I love the sounds, always. The music fits in very well with the feel of the game, and this is one of the few GBA games I actually listen to the music for. All the sound effects are done nicely, and seem to fit in a tad more than I expected. Overall, I think that the music was done VERY well and is a strong point in enjoying the game thoroughly.

I have always enjoyed the good old slashslashslash fighting of Zelda games. While, in most cases this would seem overdone, in this game the use of controls and play mixed really amplified the enjoyment and never seemed to get boring. The game plays very smoothly and the controls are perfect. You walk around with the d-pad, while using A and B for equipping, R for action moves (grab, pull, push), start is the menu, with items, map, options, you know, a menu. The simplicity of the gameplay would seem to be a letdown but with the use of controls and the way it's all done, again, a great game has been made. The only letdown of the gameplay was the lack of it. The game should of been a lot longer!

Replay value: 5/10
I found that I did everything in one game and the only reason I would want to play it again was when I forgot about it and remembered I had it. However, I know most people won't spend only one time on the game to do everything, so you might want to play again to make sure you do everything and such.

I recommend this game to fans of the series, but I think that possibly most wont want to buy it due to it's lack of length. Overall, this game is amazing and very much worth playing.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/12/04