Review by Y S

"The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap"

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - GBA

Introduction
If you were to ask me what my favourite Zelda game was, I wouldn't agree with the majority and say “Ocarina of time”, no sir… I'd say “Link to the past”. Although I've been a huge Zelda fan throughout all the games, I feel the series lost a certain something after the third game, and to be honest, the Gameboy games weren't quite what I was expecting either, so I wasn't expecting huge things from the Minish Cap, but I decided to give it a try anyways…

Gameplay
Most Zelda games start of with a story that is in no way linked (hehe, “link”ed, get it?) to any of the other Zelda games, and Minish Cap is no exception. The story begins when Link is awoken by Zelda to accompany her to attend a contest where the winner will win the honour of touching the sacred blade. The winner, a mysterious man named Vaati, steps forward as champion, only to use the box that contains the sword to release a horde of monsters and turns Zelda into stone! In all the chaos, Zelda's father (the king) needs someone who is brave and capable of seeing the Picori (a race of miniature people who forged the sacred sword) to break the curse Vaati bestowed upon his daughter… you guessed it, Link's on another adventure!

On the way to the Minish forest, where the Picori live, Link meets up with a magical, talking cap which gives Link the ability to shrink himself down to an ant's size. This may or may not sound that awesome at first, but it leads to a whole new way of playing, for example, as mini Link, you can go through mouse holes and small holes in logs, but can't walk through puddles like you can as normal Link. It adds a whole new dimension to the game and gives you a whole new view of the world around you. It's nothing short of genius.

The other items you'll collect along the way are both unique and imaginative; you've never seen anything like them in any other Zelda game! My personal favourite is the mole mitts though, which allow you to dig your way through walls that look remarkably like swiss cheese. The ocarina even makes an appearance in the game too, functioning in a similar fashion to how it did in the SNES version. Sheer awesomeness.

Graphics
Unfortunately, it's based when Link was a child, so Nintendo have gone with the Wind Waker look, although I have to admit, it doesn't look too bad on the Gameboy… and to be honest, I couldn't see that cap talking in the SNES look anyways.

Sound
A hell of a lot better than I expected it to be… you'll find a lot of familiar tunes that you'll hum whilst exploring Hyrule, like the Hyrule theme from Link to the Past, or the theme that plays when you enter a shop from Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. Even when you play the ocarina, you'll hear the familiar jingle of the warp flute from Mario Bros 3!

Overall
Well I played this game looking pessimistic, but I actually ended up delaying this review because I found the game so much fun to play. In fact there's only one bad thing I can think of to say about the Minish Cap off hand and that's that the game rarely informs you of what to do next, and that can get really frustrating. Otherwise, the puzzles are devious, the action is frantic and the difficulty of the game rises at a steady pace, which is a great thing for people new to Zelda. For the Zelda veterans, imagine Link to the Past's gameplay with Ocarina of Time's style, it really is that awesome. Hats off to Nintendo, I lost my bet of Minish Cap being bad and now I have to clean their toilets out for a month. Bah.

10/10