Review by KoolKirby

"For a Zelda game, I'm disappointed, for a regular game, I'm impressed"

First off, I would like to say that the reason I did not like this game as much as most of the other zelda games is not based on the fact that it is more "kiddy" then the rest. In fact, I love the graphics style they took for this game, it looks phenomenal. It's just that the game is a bit shorter then most of the other Zelda games, it's much easier then the other zelda games, and the story is a bit lacking. Sure it's not kiddy, but it's not as serious in the terms of if link were to go on the quest, I am sure Hyrule would find other means of dealing with this problem. But despite all this, you will still find that this is one incredible game, way above average.

The graphics may be a bit cartoon-ish, but that does not mean that they are not amazing as well. There are so many levels of shading, and all of the characters are brilliantly animated, link actual uses his hands to do things, unlike some other zelda games, where link just automatically dropped things, or projectiles automatically flew forward when you pressed the button. When you kill an enemy, there is this really cool explosion effect, kind of like what happened in the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and in the Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure. Other then Golden Sun, I would have to say that these are some of the best Game Boy Advance Game Graphics I have ever seen.

Game Play: 8/10
For the most part, the Minish Cap is just like every other Zelda game. You go to dungeons, get the key item in it, beat the boss, and receive one of many objects you need to continue your journey, as well as a Heart Container. They have added the new idea of Turning Small though in certain parts to solve puzzles, and they have added new items to keep puzzles fresh. And the idea of Kinstones was creative, and unique I must say. There are a few items I missed though, which I thought should've been in the game, and the Minish Cap can be quite annoying. But if your a fan of 2-D Zelda games, you will surely enjoy this game, I can promise you that.

I'm not impressed. Vaati opens a sealed chest, which unleashes monsters upon the world, Princess Zelda Stands in his way, and he turns her into stone. At least the story is consistent throughout the game though, the original zelda games such as the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past only had certain parts with an active story, whenever you are getting the 3 pendents are saving the maidens, you kinda feel the story is lacking. This game definitely does not have that problem though. I will say it again though, the Minish Cap itself can get annoying, constantly telling you things you probably already know.

Sound/Audio: 9/10
You'll find yourself humming to the remixed classic Zelda themes in this game, which was done greatly, some songs sound brand spanking new, but some you can clearly tell, and there are a few which were not remixed at all, which is kinda disappointing, but kind of good at the same time. When you speak to a character, you hear a Grunt like thing, which works well, you can at least know what their voice sounds like, and you can imagine them speaking more then if they made no sound at all. It is slightly annoying however hearing link yell every time he slashes with his sword.

You will have great fun with this game, and although it is kind of short, you might find yourself wanting to replay it for a second time soon afterward, and if your like me in the sense that you play your games again once they are about 5 years old, then you should really pick this game up. Although I may think it's a bit disappointing for a Zelda game, it sure beats most other Game Boy Advance Games currently out there as well.

Buy or Rent: Buy
Well for one thing, most rental stores probably don't allow you to rent Game Boy Advance games in the first place, so it's really a matter of buy or ignore. But I would definitely suggest picking this game up, it's a thrilling experience, and definitely worth $29.99. Of course, if your the type that must rent everything before you buy it, maybe you should ask a friend if you can borrow his copy of the game or something before you buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/14/05