Review by MetalSonic700

"Another hot Zelda game but god its short"

This is a review for the Legend of Zelda the Minish Cap. Zelda is a long going series which started in 1985 as The Legend of Zelda and spawned a ton of other games, the latest being the minish cap.

The Minish cap is by far one of the best GBA games yet. Much like the older games, its played in an overview perspective, and everything is 2D. The Minish cap borrows ideas from many of the past Zelda games, mainly the Wind Waker and Four Swords Adventures. If you are a fan of Zelda games and aren't sure if the Minish cap is for you, throw all doubt aside and buy this game.

As I said, the game plays like any other Zelda game. There is a major advantage though. Unlike most Zelda games there is very little combat until later in the game. The dungeons are stuffed with easy and hard puzzles all of which are fun to figure out and execute. The one major flaw, though, is that the puzzles are easy, and if you're a big Zelda person, you'll breeze through this one. If you're new to the Zelda series, I highly suggest you start with this one. Even finding the heart pieces, fusing all the kin stones (Ill explain later) and items will take little time, especially with the strategy guide. One of the fun nest things about this game is that you can go to the Swiftblade sword master school to learn new sword techniques. Yes, it is true that you don't need these moves, and you wont need them at all, but they're still fun to try.

The Minish Cap has quite possibly the best graphics on the GBA. Sure Kingdom Hearts has FMV power, but Zelda has incredible detail. The characters have very smooth animations and all kinds of cool movements. The areas are beautiful and believable. There are so many tiny details and cool special effects it will blow you away.

There isn't too much story in the Minish Cap. Most Zelda games are chocked full of story, but this one sort of deviates from that with a very simple and yet quite epic story. I was at first not sure that I liked this lack of story, but as I finished the game, I felt completely satisfied with the story. Besides, the first Zelda didn't really have that much story now did it?

All Zelda games, including the Minish cap, have a high replay value. I first played through this game with minimum collecting so that I could brag to my friends, then went back to beat it again with 100 percent, and sill I am ready to play to the end again. Even if you rent this game, you may feel compelled to beat it twice.

The Minish Cap is quite possibly the shortest Zelda game yet. If you don't collect any items or things like that, you could beat the entire game in around seven hours or something like that. Collecting minimal items will only add an hour or so onto that, and collecting all the items only an hour onto that. As I said, the replay value really adds a lot onto that.

Deciding on a final verdict for this game is not easy for me at all. I really loved this game, and had a lot of fun. It wasn't as good as some of the other Zelda titles, but it was really great. I was disappointed by the shortness of the game, but the sheer amount of fun and cool extras blew me away, and I was truly impressed. As a huge Zelda fan, I am forced to go lower than 9 and higher than 7, I give it a 9 out of 10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/19/05