Review by Bassguy

"Ten Reasons why you Should stop Reading this and go buy The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap"

When I think of a series that has reinvented itself, let alone the gaming world time after time, I think of The Legend of Zelda. Ever since the first game in the series, The Legend of Zelda has revolutionized gaming in every way, shape, and form. From being the first game cartridge that had a save function, to setting the standard in 3D action/adventure titles, "Zelda" was, is, and will forever be known as a beloved; revolutionary; and above all, fun. "Zelda" came from the wonder that is Shigeru Miyamoto. Because of the Donkey Kong/Mario series and The Legend of Zelda, Mr. Miyamoto will always be the greatest name in all of gaming. With all of that ass kissing out of the way, let me begin with my review of "The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap."

10) If you think you've seen everything your ol' Gameboy Advance can do, you'd be wrong, buddy-boy. Some of the scenery when you become "Minish" is amazing. The detail put into things such as the blades of grass or the tiny off-shoots on the vines can't be summed up in words. For a Gameboy Advance game, this game's graphic department is on par with the next-gen handhelds.

09) Tired of side-kicks that interrupt your adventure with one word phrases? Ezlo is the bird-cap you've been waiting for. All in all, I didn't find him helpful at all, but at least he's got character and you actually "get to know him" throughout the game. Feel free to fully enjoy all Ezlo has to offer, but do me a favor and don't fall into the all so popular trend of Navi bashing. Flagship wanted to make a side-kick with spunk that has been more than accomplished with Ezlo.

08) I have two words for you: Gust Jar. This is simply the best Zelda item since the hookshot. Don't feel like chasing down that renegade rupee? The Gust Jar is the end all item for lazy gamers. If something is just out of reach or covering something you want... BAM, Gust Jar'd! This really is the most versatile item (save the sword) in the game and deserves some sort of award for creativity.

07) This is the first game in the Four Swords universe to a "real" plot line and no multiplayer feature. It's kind of nice that you get to expand upon the newer concepts that Flagship introduced back in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords. Vaati is an interesting antagonist and to tell you the truth, is quite possibly the best boss in any handheld Zelda game.

06) In "Minish Cap" they tackle sword techniques in a rather brilliant fashion. You roam about Hyrule finding sword masters to teach you techniques and collecting "tiger scrolls," which you need to learn the last sword technique. I think it's relatively fun, and adds about forty-five minutes of play time to the mix. Over all, it's a fun side quest that brings a lot to the plate.

05) You haven't fought a boss until you've gone up against Vaati in this game. Just as soon as you think you've won and you're in the home stretch... ANOTHER FORM'D! This is probably the most relentless final boss in any Zelda game. Each one of the separate forms is very different from each other, and they all make you use the items you've picked up along the way. He's a very creative boss and I give nothing but credit to Flagship.

04) Did somebody say gargantuan side quests? Because this game has plenty of them. I mentioned earlier about how you learn sword techniques, but that isn't even the tip of the iceberg. Hell.... if you think about it, the fourth dungeon is basically a side quest in itself. Fusing "kinstones" is a large part of the game and it's even required in some parts to progress in the plot. The Minish Cap is on par with Majora's Mask, side quest wise.

03) Remember your favorite characters and enemies from other Zelda games? Chances are, they're in The Minish Cap. From Tektites to Like Likes, Malon to the snooty nosed kid from Wind Waker, this game is heavy on the classic Zelda feel. For instance, there is a great cameo of the three goddesses (Din, Farore, and Nayru) in the game, and I can't forget to mention everyone's favorite fairy wannabe: Tingle. Yes... Tingle is back in all of his green spandex-wearing glory, just to piss off everyone that considers him the Jar Jar Binx of the Zelda universe.

02) Sound test... That's right, this game has a sound test with every song in the game. If you want to hear almost any classic Zelda tune at will, this game was meant for you. It's kind of a pain in the ass to unlock it, but trust me, good sir, it is worth it. I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to shell out thirty bucks just for the sound track, and they threw it in free of cost.

01) The number one reason you should buy this is that it's a Zelda game. In all seriousness, when was the last time you played a bad Zelda game? Never. I don't care if you aren't a big fan of the Zelda series or not, every single game in the Zelda series has solid game play, a heroic plot, and great items. The only reason why you wouldn't want to buy this is you hate yourself and don't want to play a quality game. Do yourself a favor and go buy The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/14/05